Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you can make several cans in the privacy of your home, sell the tools, take at most a $200 hit for having had the use of them. The lathe should run under $450, with all necessaryattachments and accessories, the torch under $250, to include the bottles. NO way you can't get $350 for the lathe, $150 for the torch and bottles, if you give the sale a serious try.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6" Atlas lathes can be had all day, in decent shape, for $300 for the bare machine, and the extra $150 will cover the 4 jaw chuck, steady rest, etc needed to do lots of work. Cans, however, usually dont require the 4 jaw. The typical 6", however, doesn't have enough distance between centers to allow you to turn more than about a 12" barrel. There is supposedly a bed-extention available (kinda) that gets you out to 20" or so of barrel.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I"ve twice made my own steady rest for such small lathes. The 6" requires you to manually change gears in order to single point thread a workpc. The 12" atlas can usually be had for $700 or so, with all goodies, Timken bearing headstock, and includes a transmission for changing speeds. The 12" is a lot more machine, capable of handling rifle barrels, but it also weighs about 2x as much and is 2x as bulky. It definitely requires 2 men to take it up or down stairs, even after you take it off of its stand. I've lugged the 6" up and down them by myself, including the 30 lbs of plate aluminum base to which it was screwed. I did detach the motor and its countershaft pulley set up, tho.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ONE MORE TIME

Again, I have no doubts about this at all. Its just that Federal Prison doesn't appeal to me that much.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I guess he wants to go back and visit his butt buddies again.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Some puppies still pee on the carpet, no matter how many times you whack them in the head with a rolled up newspaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts