Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm filling them now, out of the 6 drum-liners that I filled yesterday, cleaning up the back yard. It's gonna be between 32F and 28F for about 4 hours tonight then go down to 25F for the rest of the night. it looks like I can lay on 3-4 such bags and pull 5-6 of them over me. I could tie them together, if I had to, but i"m going to use tape, cause it's quicker and easier. I thing that such will suffice down to 30F, at least, in just cammies, balaclava, gloves, unlaced shoes, 2 pairs of sock liners. and shemagh. There's 9 of these very flimsy garbage bags in a box DT has other options that offer 5-6 bags in a box and those bags might be thicker/tougher. You'd definitely need 2 of those boxes. These bags probably wont surive being used more than 2-3 nights. The surely are flimsy.

These bags are very tightly pressed together when they are cut with a hot "knife', laser, waterjet, whatever is used. Some of them have to be trimmed in order to open them fully. The dry leaves are very prickly and noisy. A full bag compresses down to about 5" thick when you lay on it. We'll see. I'm doing this on a bet, and to find out what I'd need at what temps for the $10 Dollar tree survival challenge. I might need two of the packages of such 30 gallon bags.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this will of course be considerably more warm than a coupld of 2" thick layers of debris inside and outside of my cammies, but it's not portable cover. Most of the year, in deciduous forests, you're going to have problems gathering this much debris, but most of the year, all you need is the drum liners wrapped around you, with debris between the liners and your body up in a hammock or on 3 more bags of debris laid on the ground

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i"m 6 ft tall but I sleep in the semi-fetal position, (mostly) 3 of the bags are long enough for me to lay upon. They are also about as wide as a typical couch., You need 6 more of the 30 gallon bags to drape over yourself, tho. Where they come together must be held in place. A LOT of cordage might suffice for this job, but I just ran a strip of 1.5" wide blue masking tape down the seams. Now we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Here's a thought, try your cobbled up sleeping system every night for 7 days straight and give us a report on its effectiveness and especially its durability.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Well he'll have a wee bit more time for the next 30days for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
"Wifey # whatever" is gone that long?

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
No, due to his nasty comments in the sticky thread on sedatives in which he lashed out at everyone nearly he's gotten a 30day time out.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
No, due to his nasty comments in the sticky thread on sedatives in which he lashed out at everyone nearly he's gotten a 30day time out.
missed it, and you deleted it before I could see it. :(

I can guess, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts