Arms Locker banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try it. I paid about $100 for one at wally world.

Poke holes in plastic dry soup mix(to let out air) and vacuum seal. Remove boullion from glass jar and seal in plastic. Its amazing how much weight and bulk this will save. use your imagination.

Also, don't forget salt. You need it to live and its hard to come by when your outdoors for the forseeable future.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
A fair number of the items in my GHB are vacuum-sealed. Dry food, food powder mixes, bouillon cubes, etc; to keep out both water and oxygen. Even my change of clothes in there is vacuum sealed, to keep out moisture & bugs. The 35mm film canisters of cotton-ball & vaseline "tinder" are vacuum-sealed as well, largely to protect the rest of the pack from them if they were to open & leak.

If stuff in your pack is vacuum-sealed, it’s a good idea to keep some empty Ziploc bags in there as well. Once the seal is broken on the vacuum bag, I’d hate to be without a way to re-seal items. I keep several of the gallon & quart “slide” zipper type bags in my pack, and most of the stuff that’s vacuum sealed has a Ziploc bag or two just sealed in right along with the ‘stuff’.

Vacuum-sealing is also good for relatively long-term storage of some items. Powdered chlorine, (Sock-it), for 'making' liquid chlorine bleach for water purification; vacuum-seal the chlorine powder package, along with instructions for usage, and it will last a long time. Normal liquid chlorine bleach has a surprisingly short shelf life. It gets weak real quick; so the more stable powder form (especially vacuum-sealed in its original package) lets you keep it a LONG time, and takes up almost no space. I calculated it out one time, and iirc, just one bag of the sock-it I've got put back is enough to make enough liquid bleach 'stock' (I forget the number of gallons) to treat 5 gallons of water a day, for something like 26 or 28 years straight. Cheap, easy insurance for something as critical as water purification.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
An excellent and valuable item to buy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts