Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you pay a lot for a tool, you expect a lot from it. But, isn't it a lot more rewarding when you find a great tool at a bargain price?

To me, a value watch is one that is unusually rugged, accurate, and waterproof enough. Value = performance / cost

Here are some of the nominees for the title of Value Watch:

U.S./Canadian military watches (Canada uses the same watches)
British military watches
Russian military watches
civilian watches

Recent U.S. military watches include: MIL-W46374 spec watches, Navigator watches

British military watches include: the "G-10", general purpose watches

Russian military watches are easily distinguished by the tank, plane, or sub logo's.

Civilian watches include: Timex watches with the "Indiglo" (electroluminescent) feature, the Timex "Ironman" series, and the Casio G-Shock series

My evaluation:

Russian mil watches are cheap, but not well waterproofed. Watch repair folks have told me that they are copies of inexpensive, 1960's American watches. Russians build a lot of sturdy products, but their watches break down a lot. No value here.

British G-10 mil watches are great performers, but too pricey. Typically, they go for $250-$350. No value here, either.

American/Canadian mil watches are tough like the British watches and the price is commonly $85-$160. American/Canadian mil watches would seem to be the champs, but all is not as it appears. They're an okay value, but better is available.

Civilian watches passed their military bretheren in the 1990's. The two reigning champs in the value watch world are the Timex Ironman and the Casio G-Shock. G-Shocks were originally designed to survive a 10m (33 ft) drop onto concrete. These are the value champs.

Now we have come full circle. The military is using the Timex "Ironman" and the Casio G-Shock in large numbers, especially for issue to special operations forces. How many are used? Enough that the Timex and some G-Shocks have their own National Stock Numbers (NSN's).

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Which models of each do the military use? For example there are numerous Timex Ironman watches. Thanks

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glenn Bartley said:
Which models of each do the military use? For example there are numerous Timex Ironman watches. Thanks
Glenn, here are some of the models:

Casio G-Shock 5600: NSN 6645-01-356-5944
Casio G-Shock 6600
Casio G-Shock 6900: NSN 6645-01-441-2762

Casio PAT300-1V PATHFINDER

Timex T83512: NSN 6645-01-231-5540

Here's the one that will likely suprise you the most...

Casio CPW-310 battery operated Prayer Compass wristwatch: This is a U.S. military issued watch for Muslims. It has a tiny electronic compass that points toward Mecca. It also has alarms preset to daily Islamic prayer times.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks GBullet.As I'm something of a klutz I stopped wearing a watch some years ago.I'll check those out.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Here's the one that will likely suprise you the most...

Casio CPW-310 battery operated Prayer Compass wristwatch: This is a U.S. military issued watch for Muslims. It has a tiny electronic compass that points toward Mecca. It also has alarms preset to daily Islamic prayer times
No it does not surprise me, but it makes me want to vomit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts