Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
2,655 Posts
Archers take big trophies all the time, and can't reliably get chest hits at half the range as a braced AR 223 can reliably brain such critters. Just use a walking stick to brace standing shots, if brush wont let you sit and use your framepack to brace the rifle. A 6" brain circle is an easy mark from offhand, really, at 100m.
you do know archers are actually aiming at specific things, like heart, lungs, etc and not just the chest - right? You don’t seem to understand how hunting works. (Hence your fixation on brain shots - a terrible idea for a number of reasons)

half of 100 meters is 50 meters, which is a tad over 54 yards.

60 yards is not an uncommon archery shot here. I practice to 80 yds, but my personal ethical limit is around 65-70 yds. I can certainty Place an aimed, accurate shot at that distance. I do 3-d shoots that have targets to longer distances. I know people that are absolutely deadly to 100 yards with a bow.

so, again, try to stick to subjects you know, whatever they are.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If Mel says you can't hunt with a bolt action, then dammit, it must be gospel! Never mind the millions of LEGAL game that has been taken with a bolt action an even with of all things a .308! Guess all the other hunters of the world are wrong not to be using a POS 10in AR an a pocket nine. Or the chopped cobbled Stars or 22 Berettas. Just get sick of hearing this all the time, heard it since back in the 70s, nonstop.
And let's also not forget that in a LOT of States, It's not Legal, or considered "Ethical" to take large (Especially Dangerous) Game with a .223/5.56. if he tried that Head shot on a Bear, and was a HAIR off, it'll bounce right off that sloped Skull, and then the Poor bear will have indigestion from eating Greasy Asshat.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.