Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally broke down and bought a couple small vehicle lockboxes for securing small things in a vehicle. They arrived yesterday and after trying some different items in them I thought I'd share. They're the 'SnapSafe' brand, which is owned by Hornady. They're key operated, as I'm leery of rechargeable or battery-operated electronics in emergency applications. Also, they use a flat key instead of a round barrel key, so it fits better on your keychain. If you buy the boxes in a two-pack, you not only get a better price, but you can get them keyed alike, so if you have one in your vehicle and your spouse has one in theirs, just one key on your ring can open either of them; no need to carry multiple keys.

First impression is very positive. They're substantially heavier than I expected; probably 3-4 pounds apiece which surprised me. Not being able to test-fit items before ordering, I ordered the middle "XL" version (they have L, XL, and XXL) and it seems like a great size as long as the space you have planned for it will hold it. My main purposes will probably be pistol magazines and possibly a small amount of cash, but they'd work for quite a few things.

As far as size, they hold a surprising amount for as small as they are. Glock 9mm magazines - two 33-rounders, two 24-rounders, two 15-rounders, and two 20-rounders (15's with +5 extensions) - that's a lot of rounds; more than I plan on carrying in it, just curious to see its true capacity:
Automotive lighting Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Luggage and bags Gadget

As far as holding pistols, this XL size holds any normal pistol I'd likely want to. I tried a G19 with light attached, a full size 1911 and even the big Redhawk revolver. That it held the Redhawk surprised me. That's not a gun I'd personally keep locked in a vehicle unless I was in Canada or Alaska or somewhere, but it did fit.
Rectangle Gun accessory Gun barrel Cylinder Composite material
Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Revolver Gun barrel
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Ammunition

(I know it looks like the redhawk is in a smaller box, but it's not. All of those pics are the same box; the redhawk is just that beefy of a gun.)

Another thing I like is the way they did their foam. Instead of one or two thick layers, it's four thinner layers - two in the top and two in the bottom - giving you more flexibility in adjusting how much padding you want and how much room you need.

They won't make your vehicle Fort Knox, and the anchor cable certainly could be cut with a saw, or likely even with bolt-cutters, but it's a lot more secure than just leaving a gun (or ammo, or cash, or whatever) in the console or under the seat. The only two times I had anything stolen from my vehicle were both quick smash-&-grab situations, and with this box's cable secured around a good anchor point, I suspect it would have prevented the thefts both times.

·
Registered
10,643 Posts
You might get the Ruger THROUGH Canada travelling to Alaska, but you won't get it INTO Canada. Besides up here having a loaded firearm stored in a vehicle is a criminal offence (unless your a careless LEO who has it stolen).

·
Super Moderator
2,337 Posts
Gun laws suck.

And I'm going up to the range and pondering whether or not to go to the one up in Neosho MO or not.
Traveling like that having any extras lockable pays off.
As it is I'll have my stuff largely in the tool box in the bed. But keep one regular pistol on me and a cased AR pistol behind the seat. In a case that fairly matches the interior color but.. that's no guarantee of anything.
I'd really like a smallish vehicle safe for something like that.

·
Super Moderator
2,544 Posts
I've got the Hornaday / Snapsafe lockbox in my truck. for what it is, it works fine. Gives me an option when I go somewhere I can't take the pistol into. I had to add a strap across the base of the seat to stop it from sliding into the passengers feet in the back seat. Unless you knew what to look for, you'd never no it was there. 1" webbing with snaps on each end. I put int a screw in snaps at the base of the seat.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to add a strap across the base of the seat to stop it from sliding into the passengers feet in the back seat. Unless you knew what to look for, you'd never no it was there. 1" webbing with snaps on each end. I put int a screw in snaps at the base of the seat.
I'm thinking I'll likely keep it under the truck's rear flip-up seat. I put one of those molded storage bins under there when I first bought the truck, and in the bin are things like the fuel funnel that you have to have for using gas cans, insulated coveralls in a bag, etc:
Automotive design Comfort Grey Personal luxury car Vehicle

I figure with the lockbox in the bin and the cable around a seat support piece it'll ride completely quiet & unseen.

·
Registered
10,643 Posts
any handgun, shotgun & rifle, it is illegal to store a firearm in a vehicle. Americans travelling to Alaska with firearms can have them sealed at the border. Bolt Actions, Pump actions, certain semi auto rifles and shotguns can be brought into Canada by declaring at customs when you arrive at the border but long term storage (viewed by some LEO's up as over night) in a car could get you convicted. When my wife and I travel up here for matches all our guns are brought into the motel at night.

·
Registered
10,643 Posts
Reactions: BigEd

·
Super Moderator
2,337 Posts
Very interesting video.

Coincidence yesterday I drove up to the range in Missouri.
Per Arkansas and Missouri laws I was legally carrying a Glock 26 and a AR pistol; loaded. And I did have 3 others that were the main reason for the trip.

For cross the border travel I'd rather do the ship to an FFL and pick up in Alaska if a handgun were involved.

And I'm sorry but I was about ROFLMAO about the drunk woman.
Rule #1 don't get drunk and be a loud mouth arse if you are carrying firearms in your vehicle or on your person.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rule #1 don't get drunk and be a loud mouth arse if you are carrying firearms in your vehicle or on your person.
😁 It's a bad idea if you're unarmed, as well. Short version, "Don't get drunk and be a loud mouth arse" - period. That prevents a lot of problems.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One of my favorite sayings is "If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes." Don't know where I originally heard it, but it's absolutely true. Some people constantly complain about the taste of crap, but at the same time refuse to stop playing in the septic tank.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put one of these in my truck this weekend, in the underseat storage bin with the anchor cable around a welded-in seat support. Just three extra loaded magazines (one G19, one HK, one LCP), a 50-round box of 9mm, 25-round box of .380, and four cr123 batteries for the truck's flashlight. My wife's not interested in having one in her vehicle, so I may actually put the second one in mine as well, with whatever seems logical in it. Really liking that they're both keyed alike; it simplifies things all around.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went ahead and put the second lockbox in the truck as well. I keep the 9mm AR pistol locked with a chain in the back, and so the second lockbox is strictly oriented toward it. Four loaded magazines, and extra batteries for the red dot and light:
Product Automotive lighting Gadget Font Rectangle

The other one is just one extra magazine each for my edc guns, one box of ammo for each caliber, batteries for the flashlight I keep in the truck, and a Glock magazine on the off chance I’m carrying the G19 instead of my normal P30SK. I really like how stout these are, and the way their securing cable threads through a permanent structural element in the truck. They could be defeated by someone with a saw, bolt cutters, or a grinder, but your typical smash-and-grab scumbags I don’t believe would have much chance at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts