Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Then fix your house. Insulate, caulk, repair weatherstripping, etc. Saving a hundred a month off an average house's total utility bills is not too difficult to achieve. Twelve hundred a year saved is equal to at least two thousand that gets taxed.

When we built ours, we super-insulated it; R-36 in the walls, R-62 in the ceilings. Got laughed at by my in-laws a couple times, but now they get to listen to me tell them about my electric bill whenever I think about it.

For comparison, they live in a very normal house; 2x4 construction, fiberglass insulation in the walls & 6 inches of fiberglass in the attic, approximately 1600 sq ft, normal 8-ft ceilings, about 20 miles from us. (Same climate, etc). They have electric appliances except for water heater and heat, which are natural gas.

Our house is 2,460 sq ft, all electric. We also have vaulted ceilings literally throughout the house. Eight feet at the outside walls, to 14 1/2 feet at the center; just over 11 feet average height. What that means is that in their house, they're heating and cooling around 12,800 cubic feet of space, and we heat and cool 27,675 cubic feet; or more than twice what they do. No geothermal, no solar panels, nothing exotic on our house. Just a normal Home Depot water heater, radiant electric cooktop, normal heat pump, etc.

Additionally, there are four of us, versus two of them. This is very relevant when you figure energy used for hot water, laundry, lights, cooking, etc.

So there are twice as many of us living here (generating dirty laundry, using hot water, leaving lights on, etc), and we're climate-controlling MORE than twice the space, yet our utility bills are roughly 40% what theirs are. They average combined electric/gas bills of $240 or so a month; we average $96 a month.

That's a literal, bank-able difference of over $1,700 a year; probably worth $2,500 or so if it was taxable. And remember, that's with twice the house and twice the people in it. An apples-to-apples comparison would be even more stark.

I like to tell my wife's father (where her mother can hear) that that's enough to take my wife on a cruise every year. :laugh01:

Just by insulating the friggin' house.

(He's asked for my help on a house they're currently remodeling, so apparently old dogs can learn new tricks.. :cool: )

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
good post, a well built home is the pride of the owner![it's a fact]

i recall "snow load " roofs on triple wides built in phoenix[factory plants]
that 'i' would haul to places like steamboat springs co.[ in the winter]

the R-500[ha] insultastion rating[for ariziona built homes was[ OFF THE CHARTS]and heavier than a bunch of 'rosie o'donnall's' hitched to your ass pocket for life!

i always had to pull the most "crappiest" section...i.e. most likely to blow tires...or flip over in 25+mph winds[the best,never rest :dgrin: ]

but there is NO DOUBT! that a well insulated home with double pane windows
will save a man TONS of money in the long horse race!

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i could not 'edit' so i will POST!
it was 2x6" sidewall framing on the colorado'destined' homes!

some 2x8"

big deal assholeS the world LOST ......AN'

MY MAN "BUSH "IS doing the world wide PUSH!....[com'on ya'all ...an isolated...island ..hug!] we are , what we are!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts