Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the following email today, pasted below, and I'm sure a few others of you may have too. I've seen statments about similar situations on the BOI claiming someone in nigeria was trying to get them to allow access to a US bank account to "transfer" their trapped funds and so on for a percentage. One of those too good to be true type scenerios.

I just wanted to paste this here in hopes of making someone aware of this... I'm sure everyone knows better by now but you never know, it could save someone alot of greif. This is way to familiar to pass as a coincedence. I guess you guys can judge it for yourself.

----------------------------
EMAIL RECEIVED:

DR SEYE BIMBO
EMAIL [email protected]
FAX:234 1 7599159

Dear Sir,

URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

First, I must solicit your confidence in this transaction, which is of mutual benefit. This is by virtue of it's nature of being utterly
confidential.I am sure and have confidence of your ability, and reliability to prosecute a transaction of this great magnitude.
We are top Officials of the Federal Government Contract review Panel who are interested in importation of goods into our country with funds which are presently trapped in Nigeria. In order to commence this business,we need your assistance to enable us transfer funds into your account. Asmembers of the Contract Review Panel set up by the Government of Nigeria toreview all contracts from 1983 to the present,we have identified a lot ofinflated contract funds which are presently floating in the Central Bank of Nigeria ready for payment.

By virtue of our position as Civil Servants and members of this Panel, we cannot acquire this money in our names, in this regard I have been delegated by my colleagues of the review Panel to look for an overseas partner into whose account we would transfer the sum of
US$21,320,000.00 ( Twenty -One Million, Three Hundred and Twenty
Thousand United States Dollars) hence we take the liberty to writeyou.
The money will be shared as follows:-

1. 20% for the account owner
2. 70% for us (The Officials)
3. 10% to be used in settling taxation and all local and foreignexpenses. Please note that this transaction will take between 7 to 10 working days from the date of receipt of the following information by Fax 234 1 7599159,Your Company's signed and stamped letterhead with atranscribed "Text" which we would send to you upon receipt of your reply with a letter of interest.The above information will enable us write letter of claim, and Job description by using your Company name to apply for payment for the above stated amount.Please acknowledge the receipt of this letter using the above Fax number.

Detailed information of this pending business transaction will be sent to you as soon as I hear from you.

Yours faithfully,

DR SEYE BIMBO

NOTE:pLEASE QUOTE THIS REFERENCE NUMBER(VE/S/04/02) IN ALL YOURRESPONSES......

----------------------------
Thanks Guys... Hope this helps someone ....
Christopher A. Johnson

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've gotten those emails literally dozens of times, each time the names and country are different, but the story is basically the same.

It's definitely a scam!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and also, just to clarify things, this message was sent to an account we use strickly for the business, it has never been used to opt-in any lists and it never receives any junk, bulk, or spam mail.

This was a targetted email message from what I can tell. I've seen this in the past and I think it was reported here on a few occasions of a individual from nigeria going around trying to hagle deals with various people in the herp scene claiming to have problems with funds tied up in an account in a scheme to acquire needed a copmanies bank information. Everything from shifty money schemes to odd trades or sales. Even forged payrol check schemes.

Just thought I would help keep those aware of the newest one out there if it was tied in.... If not please remove the post.

Thanks!

Christopher A. Johnson

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I see you dont allow for editing of messages here either, boy do my typos look stupid!

EDIT: "to acquire a companies bank information. "

Yes, I know, I'm a perfectionist. Or is it a obsessive compulsive disorder? I'll leave it up to you to decide! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's one I got today:

To: [email protected]
Reply-To: [email protected]
Subject: URGENT RESPONSE.
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:16:49 +0200
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="51dd97eb-2f8d-4337-8d84-17ec5a8c5470"
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
X-UIDL: j?`!!fKp"!~^Z!!_Kl!!

Dear friend,
I am Larry Martinson The son of former minister of finance (Martins
Johnson) of the Republic of Sierra-Leone West Africa based on the
information I gathered from your chamber of commerce and industry on your
credibility, I decide to contact for the assistance.
Regarding my zeal toward foreign investment and security for my life and
possession, I therefore write to you a break down of this proposal.
My father died when a group of rebel soldier led by Sir Foday Sankoh
overthrown Government of sierra-Leone forcing the president out of power
and killing many members of the cabinet and minister including my own
father. When it become apparently obvious that the country no longer safe
for the citizens due to the political war and massive killing and
destruction of properties, I decided to move to Holland with a treasure
containing the sum of US$12.500.000.00(twelve million five hundred thousand
united state dollars) through a diplomatic means, this fund is the last
tangible money my father left behind before his death.
The said amount is presently in Holland (The Netherlands) where I am
currently seeking political asylum. While the consignment containing the
fund is in the custody of the diplomatic courier company they are not aware
of the content as it was deposited as personal effect and artifact. I am
seeking for partner who will serve as a the guardian of this fund with whom
I could plan the best way to move this money out of Holland for investment
which is my main purpose of contacting you.
Thus I decided to offer you 20% of the total money for assisting me to
actualize this project while 10% of the money has been set aside to offset
any incidental expenses that might incurred during the course of this funds
and the balance 70%shall be for me and my family which shall be invested in
your country. And are will visit you country soonest in order to inquire
areas of possible business investment. I shall be sincerely glad if my
request is rendered.
Thank you
God bless you
LARRY MARTINSON.

This was sent to a business address.

-cat

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, this is an old scam, not limited to any group in particular.

Since this thread doesn't really fit in with anything in the scope of the BOI or GBD, I'm relocating it to the Sound Off forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received this pm sounds like a scam to me :madeuce:
kaheed204: : hello,40/m/nigeria can we have a mutua business transaction together(fund transfer)
kaheed204: am looking for a trust worthy individual that i can entrust this fund with pending my arrival to ur country
fokaheed204: if u dont trust me on that can u set up a new ac for this transaction an stop insulting
mekaheed204: I am dan williams,chairman contract award committe in my country,as at present i have the sum of 10m$
united state dollars,i got this money over an invoice of a contractor that w as awarded contract in my country at a
stipulated time,these was made possible my be becos of my position an power in governmentr an investment,can you assure
me this assistance
kaheed204: as a top official we are not alow to operate a foriegn acount,that why i need ur asistance in making u the
beneficiary of the said fund which will undrgo documentation process
kaheed204: an i need ur 100% assurance in safe keping of this fund pending my arrival to ur country on realy estate business
kaheed204: an i will also need ur advice on a good profitable business sector i can aslo invest on
kaheed204: all want i will need in the documentation
kaheed204: are
kaheed204: bankname,ac#.route#an ur full name,stating owner of ac were the said fund will be transfer into
kaheed204: an ur email addresan phone# for comunication sake
kaheed204: it migth sound to good to be true u migth take this transaction for granted becos of the medium of comunication
kaheed204: as we get along on this transaction i amready to send u my identity an a copy of my international passport
kaheed204: to prove me rigth
kaheed204: yes,all i need is ur assistance in safe keeping of the fund that all i need from you
kaheed204: my good friend i wont disagree with that fact, i know a lot off things have been happending in my country,but
all things will take a liitle time before we can stop all these
kaheed204 : ok all i will need for the documentation proces now is ur info
kaheed204 : ur fullname
kaheed204 : bankname,ac#,route#,stating owner of account why the said fund will be transfer into
kaheed204 : an also ur email address,phone# for comunication sake
kaheed204 : all these i what i will be using in the documentation :dgrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts