Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shows pretty graphically the dangers of shooting at metal plates. He's lucky. It only hit his ear muffs...

[EMBED]http://www.armslocker.com/videos/50caliber.wmv[/EMBED]

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Something just seems fishy about that; or really unlucky.

I've had one ricochete in my life and that was when I hit a steel target at a distance within 5 feet on a corner from a pretty sharp angle sideways, back when I had the 1911.

Something was flat out wrong with the filmed mans setup. Look at the angle he was shooting at. The physics involved must have been pretty unique.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gotten hit on the pants legs now and again. If you are going to shoot at metal plates, it's best to angle them downwards and make sure the ground in front of the plate is soft so the bounce back doesn't bounce off of the ground and back towards you any way.

Shooting dead on will often crater the plate and molten lead and copper jacket fragments can come spitting back at you.

As for the video being faked, well, possible, I guess, but notice the fragment hitting the ground in front of the guy just prior to impacting his ear muffs on the left side of his head. If you do it in slow-mo, you can see the left side of the ear muff actually lift away from his head from the impact.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've laid into steel within 5 yards with my 1911 when I had it, my Sig now, and myriads of 5.56 and 7.62x39; you pretty much always get some sharp splash that close with the rifle rounds. The context is usually in the course of a transition drill. Still with the exception of that one .45, I've never had a bullet ricochete or even a sizeable fragment keep on going, let alone come back at me.

I saw what you were talking about with the impact in the video. By fishy I generally ment something was just plain going weird and I don't know how to explain it. As I said the mechanics required for that to happen feel plain odd. Maybe he slipped it on the top edge of crappy steel and half the slug did a rainbow trajectory back within a foot of where it was fired from; its just plain weird.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Too bad we can't see the whole picture of what he was shooting at. I'd like to not duplicate what he did. It's been so long since I've been to the range I guess I don't have to worry about it...

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
YES-SIR, 'TRIBAL CHIEFTAN' as I pulled that 'clip' a couple-monthes-BACK!!!

and it is as REAL AS THE RISING SUN!!!

lately[with the dry-summer-heat] I've been doin' "quick-kill"drills with the .223 commando-rifles at dried-up stock/cattle tanks,,,as the beer-bottles/cans are exposed to my DEADLY trigger/eyes !!!,,,and let me tell YA!,[@30-50 yards] within [1] 30- mag YOU-TOO will be "KICKIN'/SHATTERIN' booze-vessels!!![although, we would be SHOOTING 'down'[ENFILADE/DEFILADE who ever is shootin'/recieving /HIGH-or-LOW] and berms/levees surounding the IMPACT. :madeuce:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can't really tell how far he was shooting, what he was shooting at and even what happened to his hearing protection. the video quality was not good enough. I however was present at one of the 10 meter crew served weapons zero ranges where the impact berm was approximately 50 meters from the firing point. two Browning M-2 .50 caliber machineguns were on the line. One of the guns fired a tracer through the target, it impacted the berm and then went up in the air reaching a height of about 100 to 150 feet and then landed about 10 feet short of the firing line, then sat on the ground burning for another moment. So it can happen, be careful about what you shoot at and what kind of round you do shoot. There are frangible bullets out there to help with this kind of issue if you need them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have been shooting steel at the local range for a couple of years, never had any of em come back...Only problems we had were from people shooting rocks....Scary video thoe...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can't really tell how far he was shooting, what he was shooting at and even what happened to his hearing protection. the video quality was not good enough. I however was present at one of the 10 meter crew served weapons zero ranges where the impact berm was approximately 50 meters from the firing point. two Browning M-2 .50 caliber machineguns were on the line. One of the guns fired a tracer through the target, it impacted the berm and then went up in the air reaching a height of about 100 to 150 feet and then landed about 10 feet short of the firing line, then sat on the ground burning for another moment. So it can happen, be careful about what you shoot at and what kind of round you do shoot. There are frangible bullets out there to help with this kind of issue if you need them.
It'd definitely SUCK to have a still burning tracer fall down your collar! What temperature are they capable of burning at?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts