Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone actually see themselves wearing it on a daily basis? I think back to the 15 years I spent in field units and when we were in the field we wore our webbing, etc only when there was a need to. If the balloon ever went up, after the first few months, I can see only minimal use for it. Once you have settled in your alternate location there might be a need to reconsider its uses. After a while you would only need a minimum of maybe 2 spare rifle mags and 2 spare pistol mags while you carry out your daily chores. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It all comes down to the scenario involved, and what the threat level of the environment is.

You’re in a small settlement, growing crops and there isn’t any fighting, you probably aren’t.
If it’s war time, you are always wearing it.

I cannot think of any scenario where it’s war footing for more than a very short period, unless it is a civil war.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
When I think of all the crap they made us carry I still shudder. 60 lbs, was "light". In 90 degree plus weather? No wonder all the heat casualties. I could never carry all that stuff and actually do anything except at a slow walk. today. When you start loading yourself up with everything to cover all possibilities you have to consider mobility.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Probably about right
Plus backup gear and magazines can be stashed close at hand in any defensive positions modified natural ones or otherwise.
Body armor is really for planned defensive or offensive fighting, IMHO. Unless risk factors remain high.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I wore concealable soft armor on a regular basis in LE use, and I do wear level 3 hard armor sometimes; usually during deer season around here. But on a daily basis, it would have to be some truly awful scenario to make that a reality for me. And if I found myself in that awful of a scenario, I suspect my only priority would be to get somewhere else if possible.

Reactions: BigEd
1 - 5 of 5 Posts