Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aluminum sometime. :) Weigh an 8" chunk of 1.375" OD aluminum tubing, .050" wall thickness. They are barely over 1 oz each. Weigh a chunk of aluminum rod, 1.325, OD, 1" long, with a 1/2" hole thru it. that's your welded in rear endcap. another 1 oz. There's an .065" thick aluminum washer every 1", the front 5" of the 8" long can. The "sleeve-tube" is amost 1" shorter than the inside can tube, because you need to make room for the welding of a washere between the tubes, one at each end. The rear 3" of the 1.375" inner tube for the can has holes in its sides, so as to vent out the hottest, dirtiest, highest pressure gases into the "sleeve" area between the 2 tubes. That's why you have to weld a washer in between them, at each end of the 2 tubes.

The rear 3" of the can is filled with an "expansion chamber", which looks like a stack of 4 tulip flowers. This part is just there to keep the blast and heat from eating up the screenwire donut-baffles. It has numerous vent holes, both to the sides and lengthwise.

Every other baffle is a small hole baffle, with an ID of about .270", for the 223 can. The alternating baffles have an ID of .750". Either baffle is about .4" long. There's a neopren washer in front of each small-hole baffle, to stop-short the gases that are trying to filter thru the screen-baffles. the ID hole in this rubber washer is also about .270". The ID of the hole thru the expansion chamber (lengthwise) for the bullet to pass thru, is likewise .270". The front half of the screenwire baffles are made of aluminum screen, the rear half is made out of bronze screen.

The front endcap is nothing more than another aluminum washer, held in place by an internal snapring. The snapring is held in by its being in a little groove. This groove is machined .020" deep, about .100" back from the front edge of the 1 .375" tube. So there's no threaded in or welded in front-endcap. It's easily removed for replacement of baffles, or for cleaning. So, yes,the 223 can weighs a mere 12 ozs.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Might as well fill a soup can with toilet paper and duct tape it to the barrel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mmhmm mmmhmm mmmhmm I see rubber washers, wire screen baffles, a readily made at home style to be sure. I'd skip the snap ring at the front and weld that cap in place as it is a weak point, and this style is easy enough to make that when it begins to suffer from poor performance, and using rubber washers and wire screen baffles it soon will, it's better to just pull the spare out and start making two more.

For comparison:

Gemtech Halo
O.A. Length 7.75 inch (197 mm)
Diameter 1.5 inch (38 mm)
Weight 25 ounces (700 gm)
Suppressor life is known to exceed 25,000 rounds.

Gemtech M4-96D
O.A. Length 7.75 inch (197 mm)
Diameter 1.5 inch (38 mm)
Weight 24.7 ounces (700 gm)
Suppressor life is known to exceed 15,000 rounds.

Gemtech M4-02
O.A. Length 6.25 inch (159 mm)
Diameter 1.37 inch (35 mm)
Weight 16 ounces (450 gm)
Designed for semi-automatic and limited fully automatic fire.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yep. Just a slightly modified and enhanced K baffle design. AWC uses something similar as do most others. There are more efficient baffle designs out there but they require quite a bit more machining than do the K baffle designs.

Mike

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Gunkid, your just embarrassed that you can't manufacture that type of quality.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Davis, I can go down into my basement, go to my lathe, grab some steel rods and pipes, and start making one right now, a better one than yours.

I dont though, because I dont want one.

Figure it out, noone cares.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
And why not simply buy one? They arent that big of a deal. Oooo paperwork (whichh willl probly be lost and have to be resubmitted), how hard. Simply wait the time frame and you end up with a perfectly reliable, 100% fnctional, 100% waranteed product; and on top of that, its legal.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
krept said:
Mike, can you tell anything about these from ccfa.com? I just don't know what I'm looking at.

http://ccfa.com/Pages/Images/Suppressors/Pistol Suppressors/Display IMPULS II-A.jpg

thanks
They are what is commonly refered to as a six point baffle. It appears that they are a radical variation of the standard design and since I've never shot one of those cans, I couldn't tell you how effective they are.

The Gemtech baffles are a modified K baffle design, actually very easy to mill out. I can make a couple dozen in an hour or so.

Mike

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
DaRkWoLf said:
And why not simply buy one? They arent that big of a deal. Oooo paperwork (whichh willl probly be lost and have to be resubmitted), how hard. Simply wait the time frame and you end up with a perfectly reliable, 100% fnctional, 100% waranteed product; and on top of that, its legal.

Yep and a friend of mine, who's licensed to manufacture them, can build me one any way I want for any caliber I want. IF I wanted one.

Just so some will know I ain't BS'n here's a link of the place he works out of:

www.auroratactical.com

·
Registered
90 Posts
Veracity

Mabu Khan
Why bother checkin? Nobody here has doubted you yet
You're square in my book.
Now I understand the European using suppressors to NOT alarm others
(politeness) while hunting
Dont understand want or need of one here,In an assault on an individual
well they say you dont hear the one that gets ya, an assault on multiple targets?Wouldn't firearms be relegated to "mopping up?" Unless of course they are practicing a group hug and singin "Kumbaya"!
In a defense situation, by its nature wouldn't the assailants KNOW my
location,and in this situation "I" want all the noise I can make alerting
Sherrifs, Police, National Gaurd, the 101st, and the Marines to the location of the festivities!
Besides I like Loudenboomers, have for a long time, Please direct your replies to my Right ear!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
robert garner said:
Mabu Khan
Why bother checkin? Nobody here has doubted you yet
You're square in my book./QUOTE]

Had to find someway to work in a plug for their shop. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts