Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a deposit down on a Canadian bear hunt for next may. Going to do an archery hunt in Manitoba. This is one of my bucket list items, and it is a good time to do it.

Now just have to do a whole bunch of shooting from a tree stand between now and then, and get my gear sorted out. I just got my safety harness, so I'm going to have to configure my stuff around it. It has MOLLE webbing, so I should be able to get my range finder and other gear attached to it if I go with it over my clothing. I've also seen people wear them under their outer layer. I'm going to have to experiment to see what works for me.

I' not a tree stand hunter, so this is new territory. Out here, almost everything is spot and stalk...

Should be fun.

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds cool. We have black bear in our area, but I've never gotten one.
They have got some giants in Canada. This area is in northern Manitoba, where not too many humans interact with the bears...should be a good time. Just need to do my homework and learn to sex and size bears on the fly. While you can shoot a sow (without cubs), they really want you to harvest a boar.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Sounds like a good time. I don't care about hunting anymore, but more than once wished I could have gotten a bear with my .454 lever action. Launching a .45 caliber bullet with .300WinMag power; what's not to love... 👴

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Are you driving up or flying?

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Are you heading north through Montana up to Canadian Hwy #1 and then east to Manitoba? If that's your route drop in for a coffee or beer enroute.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
well, when it gets closer and I do my route planning, I’ll let you know - thanks for the invite!
Big Bears up there! I've never shot one but I have had a lot of experiences with them. Ontario though.

Reactions: BigEd and Garand

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been doing my homework - the area I'm going to has a lot of color phase bears. I'm hoping for a cinnamon or a chocolate one. I won't be picky towards the end of the hunt and will take any decent boar I see. They've pulled a few 400 lb plus bears from this area, one was pushing 450. 🤩

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
I've not paid attention to what types of bears are available to hunt in the area in which you are going.
I do know despite their names coloration can vary.
So are these "Black" bears only as to what a licence/permit or tag may be obtained for?

We've got some Black Bears here that IIRC were restocked or reintroduced from Canada. These vary in color also.

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've not paid attention to what types of bears are available to hunt in the area in which you are going.
I do know despite their names coloration can vary.
So are these "Black" bears only as to what a licence/permit or tag may be obtained for?

We've got some Black Bears here that IIRC were restocked or reintroduced from Canada. These vary in color also.

"Black bears" (the species) are not just "Black" bears (the color) - they come in a variety of colors or color phases, from black to Blonde. They can be chocolate, cinnamon , Blonde, and mixtures in between. Some areas seem to have more of these variations than others. where I'm going seems to have a wide mix.

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So my plan "B" option, should something happen to my bow, is to use a rifle. I just got back from customs (US) and got a form 4457 for my .338 Win Mag to show legal ownership and be able to travel out of the country with it and return without hassles. I'll have to stop at the Canadian border, declare it and fill out their paperwork to allow me to legally posses it in Canada. Being that I will have a hunting license and that it is a bolt action, there should not be any issues with bringing it in, even with Little Castro running the country.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I've never had a bit of trouble bringing an M-1 Garand and a 12 Gauge pump into Canada. Fill out the paperwork first and save yourself the wait.

Reactions: Garand and Dorobuta

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
"Black bears" (the species) are not just "Black" bears (the color) - they come in a variety of colors or color phases, from black to Blonde. They can be chocolate, cinnamon , Blonde, and mixtures in between. Some areas seem to have more of these variations than others. where I'm going seems to have a wide mix.
Yeah, they have varied coloration here too. I've even caught a glimpse of a silvery colored one.

I know from White Rock WMA East towards the Buffalo National River it's Bear Country.
That's if the dang feral hogs haven't taken over.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
cool. I'll have to find the forms and get them filled out. Did you also have to declare the ammo?
I don't think they ever asked in some twenty odd trips. I brought just 10 rounds of Ni.4 Buck Shot and 10 rounds of Slugs. 32 rounds of .30/06 on clips. In all that time I fired one round of .30/06 in the air to scare off a big Male Black Bear. It didn't work. The Bear Spray did. My Son was backing me up with the Garand.
Plant Land lot Natural landscape Grass Biome
Plant Carnivore Terrestrial animal American black bear Groundcover

Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
3 weeks till the first match in Montana, not worried about bringing 15+ guns south, my problem is getting back into Canada with our governments retarded covid mandates.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
3 weeks till the first match in Montana, not worried about bringing 15+ guns south, my problem is getting back into Canada with our governments retarded covid mandates.
Yeah, three shot's, an ANA Can form on your i phone and you first born Son. (I was bringing him anyway)

Reactions: BigEd and Garand
1 - 20 of 20 Posts