Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Never owned a centerfire Sig, but I'm not sure about them as a gun manufacturer anymore. When I was young, they were 'the' high-end gun; with great track records, quality of production, etc. But nowadays (admittedly looking from the outside in, with no personal experience with them), it often seems like their marketing may be outperforming their manufacturing.

Super Moderator
My AR-10 is a Sig, it has been flawless. I am very happy with it.

I think the 277 round is similar to the 6.8 Western. I鈥檓 interested in the round, but not enough to buy a gun chambered for it鈥

Registered
My AR-10 is a Sig, it has been flawless.
Good to hear they still do good stuff. I just remember the talk about problems with the 320, 365, and I was thinking one other gun of theirs, but don't recall specifically. I've never owned a sig other than a Mosquito .22 pistol, and while it wasn't horrible, it wasn't as good as the Taurus TX22. And for a Sig to not be as good as a same-category Taurus was surprising and a major let-down.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I won't be buying one.
It's just a discussion teaser and something that makes me wish I'd kept a copy. Even if a printed out one of a parody obituary I did of "Gunkid" on Patriot Network. In which cause of death was him having a terminal "S"-fit over the USA going back to 7.62x51mm.
It's not a "done deal" yet. Not with several things going on now. Think defense spending under the current administration.
But if things progress the 6.8x51mm will be the next military cartridge for the USA.
That's what I found amusing and that Sig is already planning on selling a civilian version of it.
In a few months, IIRC, the actual contract winner will be announced.
My money would be on SIG if I was a betting man.
At the most I might buy the parts to assemble a AR-10 upper in this cartridge.
If it becomes the next "G.I. Round".

While not a real intermediate cartridge it's pretty close to "back to the future" firearms development ain't it?

Super Moderator
it should have a better BC than the 7-08, and depending on how the overall dimensions are set up, you might have some good long heavy bullets.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I'm just waiting for the final selection/adoption and most importantly budgeting by the military.

Considering what's going on with the saber rattling in Asia and Eastern Europe I don't know if the U.S. military will want to initiate such a logistical shift in weapons and ammo.
Or, will it go full bore adoption once a winner is selected.

Again I'm not in a rush. I had hoped for the 6.8REM/SPC but that was not to be nor the coyote brown XM8.

Registered
I think that Russian actions in Eastern Europe have put a kibosh on new procurement of anything that doesn't deal with anti tank or air dense weaponry .

Super Moderator
typical supply chain will probably a phased in multi-tier approach, one they decide the make up of a unit. ir. DMR, basic infantry, etc... then then will field accordingly. Special forces should get them first.

Super Moderator
Vortex is building the optic for the rifle(s) - SAW & M4 replacements in 6.8!

check out this podcast YouTube

of course, this means that sticking with the GI round will mean giving up the .22 unit. Somebody's head is going to explode.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I hope that doesn't make him totally freak out or anything really bad.

Again if he keeps it on an even keel and keeps the "language" out of the thread titles and to a minimum he's welcome back.
If I got a notification about him wanting a new password I'd help but I don't think I have that level of administrative access.

Banned
I think that Russian actions in Eastern Europe have put a kibosh on new procurement of anything that doesn't deal with anti tank or air dense weaponry .
I agree. But if a Russian invasion devolves into a guerrilla warfare quagmire, the importance of small arms will increase. Might even become a deciding factor, given the new capabilities of the Next Generation Squad Weapon rifle and automatic rifle.

Registered

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I'll just say things are progressing and the commercial term for this cartridge is the .277Fury.
So, it's going to be a long waiting game. Ammo is or was out there...at roughly $80 a box of 20馃槼!!!

Don't have a clue about dies, chambering reamers or other components like cases.馃

The only thing I'd like to build is a AR-10 type rifle in it with a standard weight barrel. Think 16"Carbine /M4 profile minus the cut around the barrel. And a good brake& suppressor combo.

Registered
I just now read the article. I thought this was just about replacing the SAW, but it's apparently intended to replace the general-issue M4 as well. It will probably take a while to see the impact on the civilian .223 market, but I wonder what impact it will have..?

With the army abandoning the 556, you would think that would hurt production, but as heavily as the 556 AR has penetrated the civilan market, I also wonder if it'll have much of an impact at all. 馃槓

Registered
Looking at it some more, all I can say is "holy crap". The optics alone, including support, accessories, repairs, etc, are over $10k apiece...?

As reported in Guns.com: 鈥淭he 10-year contract鈥 covers the production and delivery of up to 250,000 XM157 Next Generation Squad Weapons-Fire Control systems. The NGSW-FC will be the common sight for the Army鈥檚 new NGSW-Rifle, set to replace the M4 Carbine in front line service, and the NGSW-Automatic Rifle, the intended replacement for the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon. The contract minimum is set at $20 million, with a fantastic $2.7 billion maximum mentioned if all options are taken, pointing to a unit price for each NGSW-FC optic as being in the neighborhood of $10,800. However, it should be noted that, going past the sights themselves, the contract includes supporting accessories, contractor support, spare parts, repairs, and engineering efforts, likely pointing to a significantly lower per-unit cost than the basic math would imply.
They're definitely impressive, having everything from rangefinder to windspeed detection, aiming laser, and a buttload of other stuff, but that's a massive chunk of money for an optic for general issue. For special operations or even designated-marksman use, maybe, but for general issue to all troops? Surely that's not the case...?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I can't seeing that optic being general issue to all personnel. And probably not to all infantry.

Super Moderator
looks like it would be perfect for DMR at the squad level. Don't know about the load out issue, but in theory (ha ha ha) the people making the decisions have thought this through better than I have.

I'd love to have one, but I'm not looking for yet another caliber...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts