·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From John Farnam's website:
http://www.defense-training.com/quips/2004/09Nov04.html

09Nov04

A Trooper's Story:

A state trooper, who was one of our students last weekend, told us of one o f his experiences. This incident occurred late last year:

"I pulled over a car on an isolated stretch of state highway on a Th ursday at midnight. He was drifting over the centerline, and I thought he was lik ely falling asleep at the wheel. The only person in the car was the driver. This is not uncommon, and I didn't consider this stop particularly dangerous, as he pulled over right away. I was going to suggest to the driver that he

find a motel and get some rest; nothing more. As I walked even with his le ft, rear bumper, the driver turned in his seat, pointed a 1911 at me, and start ed firing. He said nothing, and his movement was so slow and nonchalant that I didn't detect any peril until his first shot whizzed past my head!

I drew my pistol and stumbled backward. By the time I got to my patrol vehicle, I realized that I had not been hit (yet). God knows how! I got i n, put the vehicle in reverse and backed up rapidly. I didn't notice it u ntil later, but my windshield had several bullet holes through it as did my gril l and front bumper. My rear window was shot out.

The driver did not close the distance between us, but he did not drive away

either. He was there to fight, and I quickly came to the conclusion that h e had no intention of leaving. He intended to finish me off! Using his driv er' s door for cover, he continued to fire at me with his 1911, reloading several times.

I returned fire with my pistol, but then grabbed my shotgun. Several pellets from my first two buckshot rounds hit him in the feet and ankles. He fell down behind the door but then got up again and resumed shooting. I swapped out to a slug and then aimed at his center mass where I calculated it was behind the door. The slug penetrated the door and most of the suspect. It ended the fight and ultimately proved fatal. He was DRT. Thank heaven for slugs !

The first backup car arrived ten minutes later, long after the situation wa s over. Several citizens stopped some distance away, but they did not approach and did not influence the outcome either way.

I was uninjured. We discovered that the suspect was driving on a suspended license from another state. He also had several outstanding misdemeanor warrants, again from another state. Paradoxically, he had little to fear f rom me. He probably would not have even received a ticket, but he obviously thought he was trapped.

The one thing that came crashing into my head as the situation progressed was that I WAS ON MY OWN! I wear a uniform, and I have a radio. I am part of a large organization, but none of the rest of it was in a position to help me while I was fighting for my life. No one arrived 'in the nick of t ime.' We 're so used to suspects running away and/or surrendering meekly, th at we are astonished when someone actually wants to fight! It always seems to take u s by surprise.

It shouldn't! WE SHOULD ALWAYS EXPECT A FIGHT AND BE FULLY PREPARED TO BE VICTORIOUS, ON OUR OWN, WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM ANYONE ELSE. That lesson was not clear to me before this incident. It is now!"

Lesson: Willingness is a state of mind. Readiness is a statement of fact!

Reactions: RIKA

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
DJetAce said:
WE SHOULD ALWAYS EXPECT A FIGHT AND BE FULLY PREPARED TO BE VICTORIOUS, ON OUR OWN, WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM ANYONE ELSE. That lesson was not clear to me before this incident. It is now!"

Lesson: Willingness is a state of mind. Readiness is a statement of fact!
Thank you for an excellent post. The above is my philosophy.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Excellent posting.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Just like the crap that you advocate, won't do????? :dgrin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts