Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right or wrong I tend to look at these scenarios from the perspective of a total societal breakdown.IOWs,help is NOT on the way.

So,what are the plans for replacing manufactured goods?

Stuff like boots,shoes,clothes,push-up bras,& etc.These are the things on my mind.

I know how to sew a little.In a pinch I could probably even knit a sweater-or at least thats what I call it. :laugh:

My question really asks though about where will replacements come from for the above mentioned goods?Clothes/boots wear out within a year.The department stores will be overrun within days of an incident.The last time I saw someone who knew how to make yarn from wool & then turn it into a woven cloth was at a display at Greenfield Village.IOWs,prolly well below 1% of the survivers will be wearing something like "normal" clothes within five years.

I'd bet that there are more ferriers in North Dakota than there are those who can spin cotton into yarn into cloth in the rest of the US.

So,what to do?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Kill animals and wear their skins....duh!

Actually, it would probably be worthwhile for everyone to at least learn a couple different methods to tan hides...

:devil:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
u are WAY off in how fast things wear-out. Moreland was still wearing his original boots and clothing, after 13 years in the Idaho wilds. Yes, they had holes in them, and many repairs, but there's going to be LOTS of stuff on dead bodies, take it off and cache it. That will be the least of your worries, post shtf.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
andy said:
u are WAY off in how fast things wear-out. Moreland was still wearing his original boots and clothing, after 13 years in the Idaho wilds. Yes, they had holes in them, and many repairs, but there's going to be LOTS of stuff on dead bodies, take it off and cache it. That will be the least of your worries, post shtf.
I go through a pair of Redwing boots every year or so.Jeans,even rotated amongst 3 or 4 pairs,are only good for a couple of years.& thats NOT working outside in all kinds of weather.

Things will wear out MUCH faster if worn out in the weather doing manual labor.

Also,there's no way in hell that I'd consider wearing the disease/bug ridden clothes off of a corpse.YMMV.

Kill animals and wear their skins....duh!
Well,that's something I guess.

A nation populated by Grizzly f***in Adams then.swell.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
IMO, the most crucial items to have ‘plenty’ of, are things that you aren’t likely to come across or make. If you wear an odd size of anything, you’re not as likely to come across many of them just lying around post-shtf.

I wear a large shoe, so I make a point of always having two or three pair of useable boots. Even if the fields were littered with nice, freshly-dead, non-diseased bodies ( :p ), I couldn’t count on being able to find what was needed.

If your “push up bra” is a 42D, it might be a good idea to have a reserve supply. (And it would also likely open up some career opportunities in the meantime… ;) )

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
andy said:
Guys have done lots of walking with their toes sticking out of the front end of their shoes.
SURE, NUTTY JOHN, we all have, especially in those Colorado winters, right?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
John in AR said:
If your “push up bra” is a 42D, it might be a good idea to have a reserve supply. (And it would also likely open up some career opportunities in the meantime… ;) )
I can just see gunkid posing as 'Lucy' or 'erika'. :nyah:

RIKA

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
He already has!!! In prison.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
41mag, maybe you need to look into better clothing to begin with.
Man, I'm still wearing jeans that are 6 years old, with no repairs.
My last pair of boots was replaced after 4 years of continuous use. That's all day, everyday. And I work for a living, so it's not liek they don't get a good workout.

Having said that, It'd be a good Idea to maintain extras. Hell, maybe women have a good idea with the 20 pairs of shoes thing. . .
Buy plenty of pants and stuff (I wear colored Fruit of the Loom "underwear" t-shirts for work, oldest ones still in use are 3 years old). When you get holes in pants/jeans, etc, move on to the newer ones. When you've got a few "shot" pairs of pants, they can be turned into patches to repair others. Most clothes can be made to last a long time. Shoes/boots, would be the most difficult to replace.

Don't forget a LOT of socks. Feet need to be a top priority.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
yes, some good advice!

say it's 2years postshtf and you 'pop' the trunk of an abandoned car

a treasure trove of plunder[blankets,booze[good booze] first-aid kit,ammo,ect.

how fast do you think a persons hands would be filled and the rifle slung

holding their plunder, not a good place for the rifle ,huh?
i don't recall any postings,of a person packing/or provisons for a empty
haversack/musstte bag for stowing plunder securely[hands-free]

what if it was ....3 bottles of scotch.........see what i mean!

:wavey:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
You do have a point Brass. A pack would be worth its weight in gold in that situation.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
That's also why the lone wolf has a tougher time than a pair or more of people. One (or more) provides cover for those that get the supplies.

Security is something that you will have to evaluate on the scenario. The worst thing to do would be to bunch up getting supplies and present an easy target for someone.

There's no one formula for doing it, but you should be able to at least "cover the corners" (ahead to 90 degrees right, right to 90 degrees back, back 90 degrees to left, left 90 degrees to front.) of who ever is gathering stuff up. whether you do this with 4 people, two people or one person, isn't as important as having someone watching for threats and providing cover - at least long enough fo your to bring your gun to bear.

Just remember that a trunk or other potential treasure trove is also a potential ambush...

:devil:

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
2 or 3 pairs of broken in boots are an excellent year. I've spent 6-8 months or more wearing 5 pairs of pants and 5 shirts, not including underwear and socks. During that time I seen some hard field time. For winter use, additional heavy "wind" pants, long underwear, mukluks, parka & BDU type jacket, touque, a couple of pairs of gloves. Think and organize what you would require for inclement weather covering a 365 day period. At most the clothes that you require should fit in a ruck and 1 or 2 army kit bags. Wal mart will only be around the corner for 1 person that posts here, the rest of us have to plan.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have about four sets of my old combat boots I wore in the Marines. I have them all resoled. I have them put aside just in case. I wear a pair of Matterhorns daily and do a lot of walking on concrete. The soles are still in excellent shape after three years. For my kids I have bought one pair of boots for each size up to size twelve. If TSHTF while they are young they will be able to move up in size until they quit growing. The smaller pairs can be used as trade. I think clothing and shoes will be in greater supply than we think. In my job I have been in hundreds of abandoned homes that have been vacant for years and you can still find clothing that is functional. Not to say I make a habit of picking up and wearing discarded clothing LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts