Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

What are you watching?

2K views 42 replies 5 participants last post by  John in AR 
#1 ·
With all the drama we've had in real life lately (wife's cancer diagnosis, her father's death at Christmas, our builder's death shortly after with the house ~80% done, etc) I've lately been sticking mostly to comedies for the little bit of TV-watching time I do; with the occasional historical drama thrown in.

I recently discovered Corner Gas and Eureka, both pretty good comedies. Also watched a fair amount of 'Turn - Washington's Spies', about the revolutionary war.

Anyway, figured I'd start a true 'off-topic' thread here in the off-topic subforum; something other than "netting is the best insulation you can carry" and similar silliness.

What good shows or movies have y'all been watching lately?

#5 ·
Netflix: Peaky Blinders, Designated Survivor, The Son. How's the Wife, John?

#6 ·
Fwiw, one of my sons recommended a movie that I watched & thought I'd pass along because it's so stinking good. It's a fact-based historical drama called The Professor and the Madman, starring Mel Gibson and Sean Penn; about the creation of the original Oxford English Dictionary in the late 1800's. If it weren't based on a true story I wouldn't recommend it as highly, but I'm a sucker for movies based on true stories.

#8 · (Edited)
Battle of Warsaw 1920
Polish made film about one of the pivotal battles in modern European history.
I stumbled across this film when doing online research about the Polish side of the family and what role he played in WWI and the Polish Soviet War.

The only thing is it maybe difficult to find a English subtitle version online.
Or here in the USA a player that is multizone. My old dvd player was getting long in the tooth so I just ordered a multi zone + blue ray the same time I acquired the movie.
I'm probably biased towards this film as the main character has essentially the same rank and a similar position in the Polish forces. The exception being the character is in a Lancer unit and grandpa was 2nd mounted rifles in Haller's Army..

#10 ·
Last night finished "The Last Narc" with one of my sons. It's a four or five episode miniseries on Kiki Camarena, mostly told by DEA and Mexican law-enforcement people who were actually there. It has a lot of info I didn't know, and also documents some tie-ins with the long-known CIA use of drug smuggling to fund their operations, funding of the Contras back then, etc.

#11 ·
Watching a lot of youtube videos on Mexico, mostly the Quintana Roo area. Even told one of my sons that I'm considering trying mexico (at least temporarily) after my wife's gone. Also watched an okay movie last night called "Gridlocked". The first 20 minutes were slow and dull, but it got interesting enough after that. Not a great movie, but a good one. Dominic Purcell, Stephen Lang, and Vinnie Jones were the main characters; that should be enough to tell the type of movie. ;)

#13 ·
What will you do with all your firearms? Isn't Mexico anti-personal firearms? I seem to recall a truck driver who took a wrong turn and was stopped by Mexican authorities and jailed because one round of .22 LR was found in his truck.

#15 ·
Lately since my wife is away doing grandma duties, I've been catching up on my reloading or shooting during the morning and in the afternoons I have been surfing the net for Russian (with english sub titles) World War 2 movies. They are generally very well done, lots of action and remarkably accurate in regards to uniforms, webbing and firearms. Compared to the lack of detail by Hollywood movie makers this is amazing.

Reactions: BigEd
#18 ·
Been watching occasional action movies lately, but mostly comedies. (There's enough drama in the world; no real point in adding to it for entertainment purposes.) Was watching the old TV show "Wings" about the two brothers running Sandpiper Air out of Nantucket and apparently I hadn't seen the entire series as I'd thought I had. If you've ever seen the show, you almost certainly remember Lowell the mechanic. Won't give spoilers, but watching season seven I was surprised how they wrote him out of the series.

Very funny show if you're not familiar with it.

#20 ·
Last night watched the movie "Zodiac", a docudrama about the Zodiac killer in California in the late 60's & 70's. It was surprisingly good, and had things that I'd forgotten over time. Like the fact that the original Dirty Harry movie (based in San Francisco) with their "Scorpio" killer character, came out when the actual Zodiac killer was still at large. I was surprised at how many good actors were in it. Robert Downey, Jr, Anthony Edwards, Jake Gyllenhal, Mark Ruffalo, Brian Cox, Dermot Mulroney, Elias Koteas, Donal Logue, and probably some I'm forgetting.

One I haven't watched yet but bought, is a series called "Doom Patrol". Looks like a semi-cartoonish DC Comics thing, but again has good people in it. Brendan Fraser, Matt Bomer, Alan Tudyk, Timothy Dalton and probably some others. Never heard of it before, but I'm a huge Brendan Fraser fan, it was just $9.99 for something like 13 hours of program; and I'm going to be stuck on the couch a bunch next week so I figured it was worth the gamble. Might also pick back up on Yellowstone, but I'm not real big on heavy dramas right now.

#22 ·
..."Doom Patrol". Looks like a semi-cartoonish DC Comics thing, but again has good people in it. Brendan Fraser, Matt Bomer, Alan Tudyk, Timothy Dalton and probably some others. Never heard of it before, but I'm a huge Brendan Fraser fan, it was just $9.99 for something like 13 hours of program; and I'm going to be stuck on the couch a bunch next week so I figured it was worth the gamble.
Let us know if it's any good.
Only watched one episode so far. It's pretty dark and a little greasy-feeling if that makes sense. I'll probably check out more of it, but am spacing it out. Definitely much more into comedies lately. Started re-watching the british sitcom "The IT Crowd" again yesterday. It's silly but funny.

Clothing Footwear Hair Jeans Shoe

Also been watching a lot of youtube videos on various LPVO scopes, with the idea that once I'm past this 'Great Gimping' and can walk normally again I may turn my only unassigned ar carbine into something along the lines of a recce rifle.

#25 ·
It’s about the two-person IT team at a corporation, and the new female manager that gets assigned over their department. It’s definitely more bizarre and off-the-wall than big bang theory. The guy with the big afro cracks me up constantly.

#24 ·
Oh, and another completely off the wall one is a adult themed (not X rated but definitely R at times) Johnny Quest like Parody of kid/teen adventure cartoon genres from the 60's on up.
I've never seen it as whole episodes but one guy has a channel on YouTube and has top out takes.
It kinda goes dark parody like how it would be to be raised up in a family of over achieving parents, becoming a parent while having to deal with arch enemies and their henchmen.
They also toss in several parodies of cartoons and comics I'm sort of familiar with like Dr.Strange and the Fantastic 4.
What had me LMAO was the leader of a SHIELD like group who was a cross between Capt. Nick Fury and Agent Duke from the Doonsbury comic strip.

Name of it is The Venture Brothers.

#26 ·
I may have to look into obtaining that to watch someway.

On the opposite end last night I watched the older miniseries Sons of Liberty
not exactly what I expected but still very good. Not sure how historically accurate the exact personal history of the characters were but overall good.
John Hancock's portrayal got me off guard but comparing that to many people today I think it was great.

#27 ·
Fwiw, can’t recommend Doom Patrol. Some probably will like it, but too dark, dreary, and greasy feeling for me personally.

Yesterday watched “darkest hour“ about the first few weeks of Churchill’s time as Prime Minister of England during World War II. Very, very good movie.
Chin Coat Sleeve Font Publication

#28 ·
Last night, my wife and I watched the first 2 episodes of "1883", looks to be one of the best westerns to come out since the "Lonesome Dove" series of movies.

#30 ·
Watched "King of Thieves" on Netflix last night. Besides having some of the best old-school actors around (Michael Caine, Jim Broadbent, Ray Winstone, and Michael Gambon), part of what made it interesting to me is that it's based on a true story, the Hatton Garden jewel heist just seven years ago over Easter weekend in 2015.

Estimates ranged from 14 million to several hundred million british pounds stolen, by seven men whose combined age was 448 years. Can't go much deeper without spoilers, but it was pretty good.

Coat Tie Suit Font Formal wear

#31 ·
Dexter - New Blood and Reacher (the series). I knew they were talking about doing a spin-off of Dexter, but didn't know it was a done deal. Saw the DVD set of the series at walmart yesterday & picked it up. Just 10 episodes or so; watched a couple of them last night.

Also, the Reacher series on Prime video is pretty good as well; definitely better than the Tom Cruise movie version. I can tolerate Tom Cruise fine, but he's absolutely the wrong guy to play this 6'5" bruiser character.

#32 ·
can tolerate Tom Cruise fine, but he's absolutely the wrong guy to play this 6'5" bruiser character.
That's how I feel about Mark Wahlberg in some of his parts. In Shooter vs. the book Point of Impact the Bobby Lee Swagger character is somewhere in the 6ft+ range.
Also on the set of Loan Survivor and in an interview
Marcus Luttrell referred to Wahlberg as "Mini Me".
Still a great actor however.

#33 ·
Watched a movie called "Spectral" on netflix this weekend. Basically a sci-fi action movie in a war-torn eastern European country where these 'spectres' start showing up that appear to be impervious to bullets & can travel through walls like ghosts. Was pleasantly surprised with it; not only was it well done, but the plotline didn't take the easy & obvious way out but took it to a more sci-fi direction and less of a supernatural one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.