Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the drama we've had in real life lately (wife's cancer diagnosis, her father's death at Christmas, our builder's death shortly after with the house ~80% done, etc) I've lately been sticking mostly to comedies for the little bit of TV-watching time I do; with the occasional historical drama thrown in.

I recently discovered Corner Gas and Eureka, both pretty good comedies. Also watched a fair amount of 'Turn - Washington's Spies', about the revolutionary war.

Anyway, figured I'd start a true 'off-topic' thread here in the off-topic subforum; something other than "netting is the best insulation you can carry" and similar silliness.

What good shows or movies have y'all been watching lately?

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kim's Convenience - about a korean family running a store in canada. Fairly funny.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Netflix: Peaky Blinders, Designated Survivor, The Son. How's the Wife, John?

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fwiw, one of my sons recommended a movie that I watched & thought I'd pass along because it's so stinking good. It's a fact-based historical drama called The Professor and the Madman, starring Mel Gibson and Sean Penn; about the creation of the original Oxford English Dictionary in the late 1800's. If it weren't based on a true story I wouldn't recommend it as highly, but I'm a sucker for movies based on true stories.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Looks interesting John thanks for posting the trailer for it.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Battle of Warsaw 1920
Polish made film about one of the pivotal battles in modern European history.
I stumbled across this film when doing online research about the Polish side of the family and what role he played in WWI and the Polish Soviet War.
The only thing is it maybe difficult to find a English subtitle version online.
Or here in the USA a player that is multizone. My old dvd player was getting long in the tooth so I just ordered a multi zone + blue ray the same time I acquired the movie.
I'm probably biased towards this film as the main character has essentially the same rank and a similar position in the Polish forces. The exception being the character is in a Lancer unit and grandpa was 2nd mounted rifles in Haller's Army..

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
And here's one about the Katyn Massacre in 1940 when several thousand Polish officer POW's and their families were murdered under orders from Stalin and Beria.

Thankfully my great uncle and his family made it out and ended up with the Polish units in the British Army aka Anders Army.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last night finished "The Last Narc" with one of my sons. It's a four or five episode miniseries on Kiki Camarena, mostly told by DEA and Mexican law-enforcement people who were actually there. It has a lot of info I didn't know, and also documents some tie-ins with the long-known CIA use of drug smuggling to fund their operations, funding of the Contras back then, etc.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Watching a lot of youtube videos on Mexico, mostly the Quintana Roo area. Even told one of my sons that I'm considering trying mexico (at least temporarily) after my wife's gone. Also watched an okay movie last night called "Gridlocked". The first 20 minutes were slow and dull, but it got interesting enough after that. Not a great movie, but a good one. Dominic Purcell, Stephen Lang, and Vinnie Jones were the main characters; that should be enough to tell the type of movie. ;)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I've gotten hooked on Forgotten Weapons and amused by some of the more modern ones I used to own like the Armalite AR-180(by the real Armalite).

Now thought been up watching the Magnificent Seven and sequel.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Watching a lot of youtube videos on Mexico, mostly the Quintana Roo area. Even told one of my sons that I'm considering trying mexico (at least temporarily) after my wife's gone. Also watched an okay movie last night called "Gridlocked". The first 20 minutes were slow and dull, but it got interesting enough after that. Not a great movie, but a good one. Dominic Purcell, Stephen Lang, and Vinnie Jones were the main characters; that should be enough to tell the type of movie. ;)
What will you do with all your firearms? Isn't Mexico anti-personal firearms? I seem to recall a truck driver who took a wrong turn and was stopped by Mexican authorities and jailed because one round of .22 LR was found in his truck.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
What will you do with all your firearms? Isn't Mexico anti-personal firearms? I seem to recall a truck driver who took a wrong turn and was stopped by Mexican authorities and jailed because one round of .22 LR was found in his truck.
Poor guy probably was caught flat unprepared and had no ready dinero or idea with whom or how to negotiate or pay a mordidtia.

·
Registered
10,295 Posts
Lately since my wife is away doing grandma duties, I've been catching up on my reloading or shooting during the morning and in the afternoons I have been surfing the net for Russian (with english sub titles) World War 2 movies. They are generally very well done, lots of action and remarkably accurate in regards to uniforms, webbing and firearms. Compared to the lack of detail by Hollywood movie makers this is amazing.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most of them, I figure I’ll have sold by then. Not all of them by any stretch; plan to keep maybe 10-20 favorites. Those I would leave with my sons and/or other (geographically closer in Texas) family members. Still have a long ways to go. I’ve sold 17 so far and have two guns and one .22 conversion kit for 1911’s out on consignment currently, but that still leaves a little over 50 at this point. So will probably sell another 30-35 or so, plus give some to our sons. My wife actually likes me going to the gunshop lately; it’s always to either drop something off or pick up money from something sold. 😊

My oldest son has a CM9 and edc’s an M&P, so I’ll likely give him my PM9 and one of my M&P’s; my youngest son took his first deer with my little ‘scouterized’ .308 carbine, so it and his grandfather’s 1911 will go to him; things like that. (And of course, a veritable buttload of magazines, ammo & accessories to accompany them…)

One big unknown at this stage is what to do with the suppressors. They’re in my name, not in a trust, and I haven’t yet looked into the options of dealing with those if I’m out of the country for an extended time.

On guns in Mexico, the Mexican constitution actually guarantees the right to own a gun (“own” - in your home, not carry in public) as long as you’re a citizen or actual formal resident – ie, have obtained either “temporary resident” (one year) or “permanent resident” status and not just a tourist or visitor, but ownership is still very limited. Handgun calibers are limited to no bigger than .380 in autos and no bigger than .38 in revolvers, but I could live with that. Not sure about long gun laws. One oddity is that there is only one gun shop in the country, and it’s run by the government.

Honestly, if I do the Mexico thing (and I may or may not), it might mean not physically possessing a gun for a while. But for recreational purposes, I can live with other forms of recreation; as far as protecting others, at that point I simply won’t have anyone else left to protect (our sons are grown now about my size, and god help anyone who backs them into a wall); and as for protecting myself, my thought is simply “meh” at that point. Not being morose or maudlin about it, just trying to come up with some plans that involve something better than me just sitting in a large empty house waiting for something to happen. One big part of the equation is cost of living. The average income for a Mexican citizen in the part of the country I’m looking at is around 9600 pesos a month, or only $500 American or so; with the understanding that there is usually more than one worker per household. So I could live quite well there on as little as $2000 a month, of which $1400-$1500 or so would come from social security. Even figuring conservatively, after selling the business and our house, there should be enough for me to draw up to $3000 per month or so in interest, without ever touching the principle so our kids would eventually get a really nice inheritance. So with those numbers, I could pretty much do what I want, a lot cheaper than in the US, in a physically beautiful setting. It would mean getting my Spanish much better, but languages have been of the few things that come pretty easy to me and that shouldn’t be a problem.

“Long term” plans turned very nebulous when I finally came to terms with the emotional part of losing her and started trying to frame the future in some kind of solo context. Odds are, I’m simply going to be on my own probably for quite a while, and at least part of that time may simply be the life of an unarmed beach bum. There’s worse lives than living on a Caribbean beach, even if I don’t have a gun with me on the beach.

But by then I figure I’ll have sold off more of the guns, given some to my sons, and stored some others with my sons and possibly other people as well.

Reactions: Terry G

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Lately since my wife is away doing grandma duties, I've been catching up on my reloading or shooting during the morning and in the afternoons I have been surfing the net for Russian (with english sub titles) World War 2 movies. They are generally very well done, lots of action and remarkably accurate in regards to uniforms, webbing and firearms. Compared to the lack of detail by Hollywood movie makers this is amazing.
That's interesting. I'd love to see stuff from their perspective.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been watching occasional action movies lately, but mostly comedies. (There's enough drama in the world; no real point in adding to it for entertainment purposes.) Was watching the old TV show "Wings" about the two brothers running Sandpiper Air out of Nantucket and apparently I hadn't seen the entire series as I'd thought I had. If you've ever seen the show, you almost certainly remember Lowell the mechanic. Won't give spoilers, but watching season seven I was surprised how they wrote him out of the series.

Very funny show if you're not familiar with it.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I remember that series for sure.
And I almost would bet that Lowell was stealing the show and maybe wanted more money?
Anyway a funny show. I've caught it a few times on the oldies networks here.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last night watched the movie "Zodiac", a docudrama about the Zodiac killer in California in the late 60's & 70's. It was surprisingly good, and had things that I'd forgotten over time. Like the fact that the original Dirty Harry movie (based in San Francisco) with their "Scorpio" killer character, came out when the actual Zodiac killer was still at large. I was surprised at how many good actors were in it. Robert Downey, Jr, Anthony Edwards, Jake Gyllenhal, Mark Ruffalo, Brian Cox, Dermot Mulroney, Elias Koteas, Donal Logue, and probably some I'm forgetting.

One I haven't watched yet but bought, is a series called "Doom Patrol". Looks like a semi-cartoonish DC Comics thing, but again has good people in it. Brendan Fraser, Matt Bomer, Alan Tudyk, Timothy Dalton and probably some others. Never heard of it before, but I'm a huge Brendan Fraser fan, it was just $9.99 for something like 13 hours of program; and I'm going to be stuck on the couch a bunch next week so I figured it was worth the gamble. Might also pick back up on Yellowstone, but I'm not real big on heavy dramas right now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts