Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does a good pistolero consist of to you?

I'll give you a hint right off, there is no right answer.

Is it the speed-demon that can get hellacious splits, whilst putting half his rounds in the dirt trying to miss fast enough to win?

Is it the CAS shooter who can draw, fire and hit his target in less than 1/4 second?

Is it the combat shooter who can hit a 3"x5" card every time, but does concern himself with splits?

Is it the Elmer Keith types that can kill an elk at 400 yards with a single shot from his handgun?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
To me?A good pistolero can call their shots at any range.Fast is good,but repeatable accuracy is more important.That 400 yard shot is something to aspire to.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Give me a cool headed thinker who can control his emotions when the going gets hot. A person who is fast and competent. Somebody who is dedicated and totally determined to do his best. Never a quitter. Somebody who isn't satisfied to be second best but continues to train even if he is.

RIKA

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i've always kinda been an ELMER fan myself, getting range out of a4 to 6" tube, has always impressed the hell outta me!every body can pull the trigger

fast/slow...hit/miss
although! the .45a.c.p. is my favorite! with the long colt#[2]

i am a pumkin' ball fan.

·
Registered
549 Posts
What makes a great pistolero? I guess that depends if you are talking gaming or life on the street. Great gaming pistoleros are the guys who continue to win inspite of adversity. In the gaming world, there can be no doubt guys like Jarret, Leatham, Sevigny, Langnon, and so on, are indeed great pistoleros.

On the street, a great pistolero is proficient with his or her firearm and they don't fold like a house of cards when the going gets rough. Competent pistolcraft, sensible tactics, and a warrior attitude are the ingredients for a great real world pistolero.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Actualy, Elmer Keith's shot was 600 yards on an Elk, documented. But that's really a different game. Speed is great, but is nothing without accuracy. IPSC games are fun and really push the envelope, but they have nothing whatever to do with real life combat. For my partner, give me an above average shooter, but more importantly one who is cool and equipped with a lot of intestinal fortitude.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, what I've boiled this down to, is everyone agrees a pistolero needs a cool head. For anything but gaming, everyone seems to agree that the person needs guts, too.
Everyone also seems to understand that in combat, getting good hits moderately fast is better than missing really fast.

For me, games are just that, games. It may teach soem good gun handling, but usually not good tactics. No biggie, it's a game and should be for fun more than anything else. I gave up on IPSC and IDPA because they are pretty much a money game. Whoever can spend the most (or gets sponsored the most) wins. Obviosly not talking the limited classes. Same thing with High Power matches. Some of these things that pass for iron sights have more parts than a large erector set. Even cowboy shooting is becoming something of a money game.

For games, I prefer cowboy shooting, because I get to dress up and have a lot of fun, and really don't care if I win or not, it's just a fun atmosphere. At high power I'll just keep using the issue battle sights, and get my @$$ handed to me.

For combat, I agree with you all. A cool head and ability to make good hits fairly quickly will prevail over sprayers and prayers. 'Course this is nothing new, plenty of old west lawmen said the difference between them and the guy they dropped (who often got 3 even 4 rounds off befor ethe lawman got his first off) is that they didn't panic, and they bothered to aim. Cool head/cool hand.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terry G said:
Actualy, Elmer Keith's shot was 600 yards on an Elk, documented.
Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
if by "documented" u mean a couple of other guys

present who "thought" it was 600 yds, when it was probably 400 yds or less. Elmer supposedly hit the running deer twice, it had been wounded by a rifleman previous to Elmer's firing at it. Since Elmer ALSO claimed to have heard a rattlesnake, jumped over it, and shot it to pieces before he hit the ground again, you can take his 600 yd story for what it's "worth".

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
andy said:
present who "thought" it was 600 yds, when it was probably 400 yds or less. Elmer supposedly hit the running deer twice, it had been wounded by a rifleman previous to Elmer's firing at it. Since Elmer ALSO claimed to have heard a rattlesnake, jumped over it, and shot it to pieces before he hit the ground again, you can take his 600 yd story for what it's "worth".
No, your wrong. It was paced off by two people who arrived at 607 and 612 yards, respectively. Then it measured with a surveyors line at 604 yards. Amazing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think Jeff Cooper got as close as needed when in discussing how good is good enough or some such wrote "when the fellow attacking you is in more danger from you than you are from him".

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
if the attacker is any good at all, the defender has to

be VERY good indeed. If the attacker is as dumb as garnad is , you only need a walking stick,not a pistol.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
If that is true andy, then a rock will do for you.

RIKA

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
Gunkid/erika if you want to see the dumbest person you'll ever meet, past, present or future ...... just look in the mirror closely when you shave in the morning. I must be pissing you off again. Geez isn't that amazing.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Garand said:
Gunkid/erika if you want to see the dumbest person you'll ever meet, past, present or future ...... just look in the mirror closely when you shave in the morning. I must be pissing you off again. Geez isn't that amazing.
Garand, don't you just love it when he goes frothing crazy at the keyboard.

RIKA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts