Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A survival thread about which firearm is the best survival firearm, always turns into a discussion of everyone's favorites.

What types of firearms should be AVOIDED ?

Odd firearms and calibers such as a .218 Bee, while fun, isn't the easiest rifle to find ammo for.

What do you Fellows think?

Bill

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
My opinion is the same for all things, not just weapons & ammo.

I'd word it, "What kinds of GEAR should be avoided...?"

IMO, if possible avoid any gear that isn't:

durable [or "reliable"] (buy a GOOD knife, not a "cool" one. Buy a GOOD water filter, not the cheapest or newest on the market) You don't want some life-support piece of equipment (rifle, water filter, gas mask, or whatever), that craps out on you.

versatile (unless it serves a true "high-risk" niche; such as personal medications, etc.) A GOOD multi-tool on your belt or in your pocket can replace a number of individual tools, and save time, weight, and complications (less things to keep track of) at the same time.

easily maintained (if you must have a full-auto 9mm, don't make it a German MP-40; get something simpler and more durable [there's that word again].)

"common" (or "high potential for re-stocking", for lack of a better term) The .218 Bee is a surprisingly capable little cartridge, but you can't expect to re-stock post-shtf. (I often babble about the versatility of the .454 revolver, but recognize that in a post-shtf situation, what I have on hand, or what I can reload, is ALL there would be. I'm NOT likely to find stockpiles of .454 or .45LC anywhere; so while I have it and like it, I DON'T rely on it as my primary caliber of choice. Just a handy supplement.) Again, this isn't only applicable to weapons; you don't want to rely on a truck, generator, or other machine that uses some exotic fuel that you can't manufacture.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I'dworry a LOT more about the 454's

wt,bulk,lackof decent repeat hit speed,lack of .22 capability,lack of a suppressor,lack of an auto's durability, ease of cleaning, more robustness, etc. u just aint gonna USE a pistol much, once it's shtf. better keep an autorifle at HAND. Frontiersmen managed to keep a 10 lb, 5 ft long muzzleloader at hand, and it gave themMUCH less capability than does an 8 scoped canned CAR-15 and 1 lb. .22 unit, with bipod. Beyond the canned .22, there will either not be use for 20 rds of handgun ammo, or you'll be dead.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I'd want to stay away from the little known/used calibers, one use weapons like the Desert Eagle (Much too large and heavy - used only for hunting), trick weapons like the 11in CAR unless for special purposes, and heavily customized weapons like the race guns.

Like John in AR said: Durable, Versatile, Easily Maintained, Common. Thats the idea.

RIKA

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Re: I'dworry a LOT more about the 454's

223 fan said:
Beyond the canned .22, there will either not be use for 20 rds of handgun ammo, or you'll be dead.
Oh, I don't know about that. Assuming it isn't an us-against-them scenario (imagine a general breakdown of society where the most you have to avoid/defend from are roaming small gangs and singles/pairs - like a large scale natural disaster). In this situation, you'd want a gun on you at all times (for defense and hunting). That's how a pistol is DESIGNED. You can's keep that rifle on you while digging rocks out of a field to grow your own food. Can't have a rifle on you while you are working a shoovel in a hole you are making into a new "hidden" water storage structure, etc.

You can have the rifle NEAR, but not on you. In a case like this, I can see the use of thousands of rounds of handgun ammo in one lifetime just one assidental encounters with game.

KJ

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
223 fan said:
I'dworry a LOT more about the 454's wt,bulk,lackof decent repeat hit speed,lack of .22 capability,lack of a suppressor...

True. That's why I said I wouldn't rely on it as a primary caliber.

...lack of an auto's durability, ease of cleaning, more robustness, etc....

Don't know what you mean. My SRH in .454 is just about the most durable, lowest maintenance, most 'robust' handgun imaginable.

...u just aint gonna USE a pistol much, once it's shtf.

Hopefully true. And the more true it is, the less important its "shortcomings" are.

...better keep an autorifle at HAND. Frontiersmen managed to keep a 10 lb, 5 ft long muzzleloader at hand,

But not "on them". Even the CAR just can't be always "on you". A pistol or revolver can be, a whole lot more of the time.

and it gave them MUCH less capability than does an 8 scoped canned CAR-15 and 1 lb. .22 unit, with bipod.

Again, true. I've repeatedly said that the CAR-15 is my primary shoulder gun.

...Beyond the canned .22, there will either not be use for 20 rds of handgun ammo, or you'll be dead.

Possibly true; hopefully true. But I'm not going to bet my life on it. Even now, "pre-shtf" I carry more than 20 rounds of ammo on duty. I carry 54 on me, and another 162 in magazines in the car. Two 30-round Glock mags, one 18-round in the CAR, and three spare 28-rounders for the CAR.

To say that needing more than 20 rounds means the odds are stacked badly against you is probably true. But I still carry two guns, two knives, two flashlights and four handcuff keys. It's simply a matter of "having & probably not needing" vs. "potentially needing & not having".

Post-shtf, this "safety-net" approach (within limits, obviously) would be even more relevant.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John:
Very good post rebutting Melvins illiterate drivel.

I see you caught the durability remark too.

Bill

·
Registered
779 Posts
Plus I'd avoid most bottle necked or other odd ball pistol rounds.

While maybe having a slight advantage for special use they will likely be hard to come by and even reload for.

If my rifle went down for some reason I'd hate like hell to rely soley on a handgun chambered in say .400 Corbon, .357Sig, .356TSW, 9x23 etc.,.

At least with the .454 you can use .45 Colt rounds. Which though not real common seem to be in every gun,shop, pawn shop etc.,.

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
Location, location, location, depends on where you are. A Winchester 94 in .30-30 is more useful in an area like Maine than it would be in Eastern Montana. If you are willing to stockpile a decent supply of ammunition for a firearm that you can easily use, why not. If your not willing spend money on components to reload or only buy store bought ammo you are probably better to stick with the top 5 or 6 popular calibers.

Reactions: Terry G

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I think what guns do I most use in my area? I'm not bugging out, Family much more likely to BUG Out to me. So, 12 Gauge Semi Auto A-5, #6 Shot, Slugs, No.4 Buckshot. .30/06 BAR, Ruger 10/22, .45 and 9 MM Semi-Automatics. .357 Revolver. Colt AR's and AK/SKS. Duplicates (or different models) but same caliber. I'm Ammunition heavy on these, but I have enough in other calibers to be useful if needed. (I can't drink, but I swear I must have bee drunk when I ordered so much 9MM Makarov.)

Reactions: BigEd and Garand
1 - 10 of 10 Posts