Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
The .30-06 will take down anything on this continent, IF you do your part. Your part is to practice, if you don't do that, it really doesn't matter which caliber that you choose.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
shame, if $ are limited, to limit yourself to a bolt action. A used, Remington autorifle, in 308, would be far more to the point, since it offers a fast second shot, sometimes useful to anchor a fleeing cripple. Also useful on running coyotes, on dog packs, to stop charges by animals, and for self defense or combat matchs. <$400, used, and sometimes a scope will be part of the deal. 308 milsurp ammo is far cheaper than 3006 for practice, and in reality, a good 308 softpoint, like the Nosler Partition, will do anything that the 3006 can do, game-wise.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Just realized this is a very old thread that is being resurrected. My post still stands, but I doubt the OP is still around or has surely bought a rifle by now...

I'm partial to 7mm for overal hunting. A good 7-08, .280, or 7mm Magnum would all be good choices. The 7mm has a lot of choices in bullet weights and construction.

The 30-06 and .308 are also very good choices.

You really couldn't go wrong with any of these calibers...

Savage rifles are very accurate out of the box, and deals can be had for used ones if you are patient.

If you aren't strapped for cash, the FNAR is a very nice .308 auto, but the magazines are expensive. (if you go that route, the heavy fluted barrel is a good choice)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
remington auto is 2 MOA, and that's deer-capable to 300m, easily, and only slobs try longer ranges. The critter is too likely to move while the bullet's in flight. 308 is not a varmint round, and only varmints require better than 2 MOA accuracy.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have issues with Remington's habitual small parts breakage in those models, but
given the budget parameters (or as an expediency) I can see it.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
shame, if $ are limited, to limit yourself to a bolt action. A used, Remington autorifle, in 308, would be far more to the point, since it offers a fast second shot, sometimes useful to anchor a fleeing cripple. Also useful on running coyotes, on dog packs, to stop charges by animals, and for self defense or combat matchs. <$400, used, and sometimes a scope will be part of the deal. 308 milsurp ammo is far cheaper than 3006 for practice, and in reality, a good 308 softpoint, like the Nosler Partition, will do anything that the 3006 can do, game-wise.
Lets get somehing a little bit durable. If this is to be used when the "balloon goes up", you can't be running to your local gunsmith twice a month.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
remington auto is 2 MOA, and that's deer-capable to 300m, easily, and only slobs try longer ranges. The critter is too likely to move while the bullet's in flight. 308 is not a varmint round, and only varmints require better than 2 MOA accuracy.
many varmints have fallen to .308.

many people have taken game beyond 400 yards. I was just watching a video of three one shot bear kills, the shortest was 542 yards. It wasn’t luck, it was a combination of skill and having decent gear.

personally, I want my hunting rifles to be as close to 1 MOA as possible.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts