Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

What is the best rifle scope, bar none, manufactured in the world?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If price were no object, which brand of scope would you consider the absolute tops for all criteria you would rate it on? Not necessarily the best one you have tried, but the best IN YOUR OPINION, that money can buy.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
In no particular order

Swarovski
Hensoldt
Schmidt & Bender
Leupold
Zeiss

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Leupold certainly BACKS their scopes better than does any other company. Therefore, a used Leupold, for 1/4 of retail price is by FAR the best buy, in any category for which they have an entry.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
happens all the time at the smaller gun shows, guys will strip one right off of a rifle at that price, lots of times. I"ve seen them with the reticles gone, fogged up, etc, for $25. Send them in, they fix em, no argument.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Dealers get them for just a hair over 50% of retail, so they aint about to offer you more than 25% of retail for a used one.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I beleive you are wrong on the 50% off retail. There's little more than about 3% margin in optics these days.

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Aslan, thats only $18.00 on a $600.00 scope. How can anybody make a profit at such a small margin? Besides, a lot of companys offer them at a good discount from list price.

RIKA :shrugs:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
The best I have experience with are Leupolds.
I hear Schmidt and Bender are better, and Zeiss (the real ones, not the import "conquest") are supposed to be right up there too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
US Optics

1) If you want a configuration and it's possible they will build it for you.

2) Their warranty is for the lifetime of the original owner. HOWEVER if you buy a used US Optics scope you simply call or email US Optics and they transfer the warranty to you at no charge.

Best where money is a consideration?

Leupold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
scopes

Rich
With me money is always an object, but in a perfect world, U.S. Optics has to be the finest ever built. Few have seen them, for they cost several thousand dollars, but if you can imagine it, these guys can (or already do!) make it. A real superlative unit would be a USO variable with a 35 mm main tube, and a Horus Reticle (Horus Vision development, and a real bell ringer on a good weapon). For a fixed 10X, Unertl has been resurrected (in Nevada, I'm thinking), and though the "Green Scope" has a 1" tube, the Marines prefer it to all others EVER tested, and with a mil-dot reticle, is now available to the public (which John Unertl could not offer from a one man operation in Pennsylvania because of his constant back order status) for $2500. Check 'em out. There are a lot of really good scopes out there, but these just jump out at ya!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I've done casual photography for quite a long time and have become quite sensitive to quality glass. Color aberrations, defocused edges, specks on the glass, ANYTHING just drives me nuts. I wear glasses and ANYTHING at all on them will drive me buggy until I clean them.

Heck, I won't even take a free el cheapo scope. I've bought rifles with them on them and just give them away to friends and buy a Leupold or equivalent.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
well nightforce has to get my vote. i've got several on my rifles. they are as clear and distortion free as any of the german scopes, of which i have a few. but when i'm shooting varmints or paper, and every shot counts all of my target rifles, and such wear a nightforce optics system. in fact nightforce 5.5x20x56 is the only scope you can buy, that the manufacture will tell you, you should be able to see a .50 cal bullet hole at 600 meters on low power. i use there 8x36x56 on my 600 to 1000 yard rifles, and at 600 yrds on 10 power i can see 6.5 mm bullet holes in the paper. there not the cheapest scope made but there not the highest priced ones either. they are the best i have found to date.

ps: the us army has requisitioned all nightforce production for the next nine months. don't know what that means but they didn't hire all of leupold's production, did they.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To me, it's Leupold hands down. Some of the very expensive German scopes may have even finer optics, but they fall down when it comes to eye relief. Leupold offers generous eye relief, and since I shoot a lot of heavy recoiling rifles, that's the number one priority with me. Leupold scopes are also light weight, another high priority of mine. My favorite big game scopes are the Leopold 2.5X Compact, Vari-XII 1-4X20, Vari-XIII 1.5-5X20, and Vari-XII 2-7X28. The only case where I'd use a scope more powerful that 2-7X would be on a pure varmint rifle, tactical rifle, or target rifle.
Best regards, BIGBORE

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I've been a fan of Leupold VX-III's and the Mk4's.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I see I will be a minority here but just as well be honest, I have had all the major brands, liked the Burris the best, don't have it no more, last got a Redfield just before they closed the doors, I got no complaints. I like the Leupolds too, only one seemed cheep was that Tasco.

I am an optics freak too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Leupolds are my first choice, though i'll admit my experience with optics is pretty limited. I got my first leupold mounted on my mini-14 for my 13th birthday, and after that they just sorta stuck. My brother, dad, and I all have the 4.5-14 with the Boon&Crockett reticles on our hunting rifles, makes long distance shooting a breeze (out to 500 anyway).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Falcon Menace

U.S. optics if money was no issue. Since it is. I really, really, really like my new Falcon Rifle scope. That thing is simply amazing (not just for the money). I have three of them now. I just cant find other scopes like these for under $1000. Over 80 MOA elevation. Half Spaced reticle similar to IOR, 1/4 or metric adjustments, big and durable. I love these things

·
Banned
917 Posts
Side by side, shot by shot, both on 7mm rifles I compared 3x9 Leupold and Nikon scopes. Under ideal lighting conditions the Nikon resolved 7mm holes at 200yds the Leupold couldn't come close. Therefore, in my opinion, Nikon is the better scope.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts