Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you think you "need" thousands of rds, you must figure on missing with99+% of your ammo, cause nobody is going to survive needing to hit many scores of men, post shtf. If you hit with even 10% of your combat rds, 500 rds will be a great plenty, because very, VERY few men have managed to hit more than 50 men, except by having lots of luck and support.

Basically, the "need" of firing, without a good target and time in which to aim at it, only occurs when you have screwed up, and if you screw up much at all, only luck is going to save you. If you handle things intelligently, most of your "fighting' will be done with subsonic .22'rs, thru a silencer, in ambush, harassing fire, and "problem removal" sorts of sneaky shooting. For such shots, you should be getting 90+ % of hits.

There will be very little need of foraging rds if shtf, cause all the game will be gone in a month or less. This is especially true of rds larger than the .22lr, which can handle deer, hogs, pronghorn,big dogs and men, if you know what you are doing. Basically, you have to be able to make a silenced .22lr autorifle suffice, because if you lack that level of ability, no gun or rd or number of rds is going to save you, except by luck.

There will be no practice shooting post shtf, with the possible exception of silenced, subsonic .22lr's. Every noisy shot you fire is likely to "call in" your killer, so there won't be any such noisy shots being fired, for mere practice reasons. Get your training done NOW, while you still can.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
andy said:
If you think you "need" thousands of rds, you must figure on missing with99+% of your ammo, cause nobody is going to survive needing to hit many scores of men, post shtf. If you hit with even 10% of your combat rds, 500 rds will be a great plenty, because very, VERY few men have managed to hit more than 50 men, except by having lots of luck and support.
I like having a complete barrel life's worth of rounds for the rifles, a few cans full of boxes of slugs/buck for the shotguns, at least one flat of birdshot for my clays gun (which would really do well as a bird gun), and a few cans worth of ammo pistol.

Currently, all I am lacking is enough anti-human ammo for the pistol to fit my liking.

The thinking behind it isnt being able to miss, but being able to endure a long period of time.

Indeed, soldiers actually killing over 50 enemy combatants is a very rare occurance.

andy said:
Basically, the "need" of firing, without a good target and time in which to aim at it, only occurs when you have screwed up, and if you screw up much at all, only luck is going to save you. If you handle things intelligently, most of your "fighting' will be done with subsonic .22'rs, thru a silencer, in ambush, harassing fire, and "problem removal" sorts of sneaky shooting. For such shots, you should be getting 90+ % of hits.
Or when you are pinning someone down.

None of my fighting would ever be with subsonic .22s unless there was a very specific reason for it. They simply dont have killing power or any distance to them, and in my AO the wind would drag em intolerably. Most of my shooting would most likely be with my new .308 (this thing is freaking handy, glad I ended up with this choice. I just hope it performs well at the range when I give it a whirl. If I can get .75" groups at 100, Ill be smiling.).

andy said:
There will be very little need of foraging rds if shtf, cause all the game will be gone in a month or less. This is especially true of rds larger than the .22lr, which can handle deer, hogs, pronghorn,big dogs and men, if you know what you are doing. Basically, you have to be able to make a silenced .22lr autorifle suffice, because if you lack that level of ability, no gun or rd or number of rds is going to save you, except by luck.
Why do you say that they will be gone? Animals have lived an awfully long time without humans, and have endured time with our prescence as well. It truly depends on what the situation was.

andy said:
There will be no practice shooting post shtf, with the possible exception of silenced, subsonic .22lr's. Every noisy shot you fire is likely to "call in" your killer, so there won't be any such noisy shots being fired, for mere practice reasons. Get your training done NOW, while you still can.
Id figure there wouldnt be practice shooting because there simply wouldnt be the resources to use.

As per shots calling in people, if theyre dumb enough to come towards gunfire Id be glad to accept a human sacrifice.

But definately, train now, and continue training. Wether SHTF, HD, or Violence of any kind, skills of some sort (firearm, MA, and a multitude of other areas) are nessecary.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Never in the history of gun fighting has anyone complained about having too much ammo.

you don’t always get to set the terms of the engagement.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

pure speculation on your part, and a very big gamble. Good luck taking pronghorn with a .22 - you do know they are not found where there's thick cover. Their eyes are basically 8X binoculars.

Plus, you won't be doing much hunting at night, which means you will be out and about in daylight.

relying on the .22 to fight with, means you will be dead in very short order, especially if you limit the number of rounds you have. You're going to need multiple hits with the .22 per person, and even then, there is no guarantee that you will take them out of the fight before they kill you. The suppressor and subsonic .22s put you closer to them, and you won't be as quiet as you think you will be. Plus, given your problem with shaking under pressure, you aren't getting the hits you claim you'll make.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts