Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just two weeks ago a guy at the range offered me $750.00 for my Poly-Tech AKS, and today I get a flyer saying Romanian AK's are going for $329.00? Bottom fall out if the market or what? I don't care, since I don't buy guns to sell, but it struck me as odd. Any enlightenment?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've been out of the hobby too long to have a grasp on how prices have fluxuated myself.I did ask a similar question some months ago & was directed here...http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm
That said,you can now get these http://southernohiogun.com/ w/flash hider,b.lug,laminate stocks & etc,for about the same $$$$.

IIRC the Veprs(RPK receiver-sturdier than typical AK) cost a few hundered more.

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
I'm assuming that guns are more expensive, the less paper thats attached to them? Was it maybe erika/gunkid trying to upgrade?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
When I started looking for a 5.45x39 Vepr, I didn't realize how tough it was going to be to actually find one. The dealers and manufacturers I talked to all had them on "waiting list" status. None of the gun shows I went to had any at all on the tables. I finally lucked out through a lead from mrostov about a guy selling three of them on another message board. Come to find out this guy bought three of them and just got into a money bind and needed to sell them. So I bought two of them. Maybe I should have bought the third one as well.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
WHY bother? Luminous sights? No. Decent trigger ? no. GI rd? No. .22 unit? no. Concealable? no. Match accurate? No. GI parts or mags? no. swiftly usable safety? no. Ambi safety? no. See thru Scope mount? QD return to zero scope base? no. Free floated barrel, so bipod doesn't flex it? No.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I guess the VC/NVA were really not THAT badass, what with those second-rate weapons and all! Probably shoulda used a wheelbarrow instead of a bike on the "trail", too.
SatCong

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Dunno, Terry, gun shops I frequent have had them in the $350-$425 range for "pre-ban" ever since the ban.

A few sharks have been trying to sell pre-ban AKs for $600-$750, but I think they still have them on the shelves.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I understand Polytech AKs are very desirable. I don't know about $700 desirable, but they are pulling top dollar.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. Like I said, I buy gun's I want, not for re-sale. If I had parted with it, easy to do here, no paper required, They probably would have banned them next week, and the price would shoot up to $2,000.00. The AK is a very sturdy, capable and (within it's limits) accurate enought to get the job done out to about three hundred meters. It does have an atrocious trigger pull that has to be learned and a really noisy safety. It shoot's an effective cartridge that's light enough so that carrying several hundred rounds is not a burden. The magazines are very sturdy, also. Much more than the M-16 magazines. All in all an effective assault rifle. No one uses a bad design to manufacture over 75 million of them. (That's the last CONSERVATIVE estimate that I saw). It does NOT come with a .22 unit, dammit. I really wanted to get one so I could carry around a 10 and 1/2 lb. assault rifle to shoot .22's., along with the 7.62MM ammuntion I'd carry. It would have been soooo much fun looking for the AK bolt when being shot at from 150 yards away and I had the .22 unit in.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
andy said:
WHY bother? Luminous sights? No. Decent trigger ? no. GI rd? No. .22 unit? no. Concealable? no. Match accurate? No. GI parts or mags? no. swiftly usable safety? no. Ambi safety? no. See thru Scope mount? QD return to zero scope base? no. Free floated barrel, so bipod doesn't flex it? No.
Are you being a teensy weensy bit jealous again, John?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
andy said:
I know it's Sunday, but I can't help my self. John, just today stated the SKS was a good, solid rifle that made a better choice than whatever you were picking on at that moment. Let's see, luminous sights, yes on the Yugoslavian ones, no, on the Chinese and Russina one's. Decent trigger, no, GI rd? no. .22 unit? Pullease. Concealable, sure, in a truck. Match accuarate, no. GI parts or mags, no. usable safety? yes. Ambi safety? no. QD scope base? no. Free floated barrel? no. Bipod? On an AK or SKS? Anyway, one according to you is a great choice, but the other having basically the same features with the addition of larger capacity detachable magazines is completely undesireable. I think you may have trod on your penis again.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SatCong said:
I guess the VC/NVA were really not THAT badass, what with those second-rate weapons and all! Probably shoulda used a wheelbarrow instead of a bike on the "trail", too.
SatCong
They weren't Bad Ass at all with those AK's and SKS's. They fooled us into thinking they were bad by killing 58,000 of us and probably 10 times that number of South Vietnamese. AK's are POS. Ask John.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Terry G said:
They weren't Bad Ass at all with those AK's and SKS's. They fooled us into thinking they were bad by killing 58,000 of us and probably 10 times that number of South Vietnamese. AK's are POS. Ask John.

Plus, considering that our GIs take 10,000 rounds per solid hit (according to some people's "facts", the AKs MUST be at least 50% worse, so i just wanted to say that those guys must have been pretty badass to have humped 870,000,000 (15000 rounds per kill, which may well be extremely low, considering how much worse their weapons are than our, and we are talking about kills, not just good hits) rounds of 7.62x39mm down the "trail". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just to let you know, there is a company makeing a peep sight for the SKS. No not on the rear sight but one that screws into the frame at the rear and is solid looking. http://www.tech-sights.com/ VERY INTERESTING!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Terry G said:
Just two weeks ago a guy at the range offered me $750.00 for my Poly-Tech AKS, and today I get a flyer saying Romanian AK's are going for $329.00? Bottom fall out if the market or what? I don't care, since I don't buy guns to sell, but it struck me as odd. Any enlightenment?
Pre-Ban Poly-Techs & Norincos are high dollar, ($1000 +) to collectors because of the ban on importation of chinese rifles, as well as the 1989 ban, still in effect, that stipulates that any imported "assault style" rifle must have at least 5 U.S. parts to be legal to sell.

The ban that just expired stipulated that such rifles could not have certain "evil features" such as bayonet lugs, threaded barrels, muzzle brakes, and pistol grips without having more U.S. parts.

The SAR's that had the bottom fall out, are the politicaly correct ones with no flash hiders & bayonet lugs, because you can now get legal "after-ban ones that have all of those features!

I am one of those collectors that want the "Pre-Ban AK's
I currently own:
1). Poly-Tech Legend Pre-Ban, (type-3 milled reciever) AK-47
2). Norinco Pre-Ban Type 56-1 AKM-47
3). Norinco Pre-Ban Type 56-1 AKMS-47 (under-folder)
4). Poly-Tech Pre-Ban Type 56-1 AKMS-47 (under-folder)
5). Norinco NHM-91 AK-101 (.223)
6). SAR-2 AK-74 (5.45x39)
7). Yugoslavian M-70/90 AKM-47
8). Yugoslavian M-70/90 RPK-47
9). Hungarian AMD-65 AKSU-47

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
You probably don't have the knowledge to operate and maintain them properly either!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I am very pleased with my PC Romanian AK. Shoots about 2in at 100 yds and has never malfunctioned. What more could I ask for considering it does what it was designed to do.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
SatCong, I can only express my true feelings!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts