Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

what's the point? regular .22's have plenty

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  andy 
In my experience with .22LR ammo, it's been a trade-off. Higher terminal performance seems always gained at the expense of accuracy. Stinger, Vipers, etc (do they still make Vipers...?) have the large cavities and velocity to maximize inflicted damage, but they've always been the least accurate .22 loads I've used. I've yet to try the Velocitors I bought; if they're respectably accurate, they'll be the first "hyper-velocity" .22 load I've found that is.

The standard- and high-velocity loads have always been more accurate and consistent, but at the cost of terminal performance.

And in my very limited (just the last year or so), the subsonics are generally even more accurate than the standard loads. I suspect that's due to avoiding the turbulence of accelerating thru the sound barrier, and then decelerating back thru it as it slows down in flight; but I don't claim to be a physicist or aeronautical engineer.

If using a .22 rifle for in-home defense, the Stinger, Viper, Velocitor, etc, would be the ticket. When I carried a Beretta 21A as a pocket gun, Stingers were what was in it.

If using a .22 rifle for foraging, I'd gladly give up their increased velocity for increased accuracy. No way I'd hunt with Stingers; in my guns at least, they've just suck for accuracy.

But for a bedroom carbine (if stuck with a .22), no way I'd want the subsonics I prefer for small critters; that's just giving up more "oomph" than I'd be willing to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.