Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With .22LR now pretty much available everywhere again (except Wal-Mart) I just began again to give my collection a workout again. My own favorite for accuracy has been the Ruger MK II target with the 6 7/8" barrel. I bought the CZ Kadet Kit pretty much as low cost trainer for the CZ 75b, but I was so impressed by the accuracy I would rate it right up with the Ruger. I was carrying a Bersa T 22 on my hikes, but switched to revolvers, the old three screw Ruger Single-Six or the Taurus M94 to shoot up some standard velocity ammunition that doesn't function well in semi-automatics. I even shot up some rounds in my Charter Arms Explorer II. I never did find a holster for that beast. The Advantge Arms conversion for the Glock 21 proved to be a good investment. The only fault I have with it is what I posted earlier about the lighter weight being a factor as a trainer. The CZ kadet kit's weight is near that of the 9MM slide, better for training. Enough typing, I think I'll burn a few hundred rounds up.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
I've only got 2 1/2 .22 pistols currently. A Beretta M71 (3 1/2" barrel), my wife's pink Kimber Rim fire target model and a Kimber .22 Conversion kit for my Colt Series'70. None of them are as accurate as the Ruger Mk II Bull Barrel I sold a couple of years back

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've not a .22LR pistol at all right now.

But I'll be searching for a Ruger Mk II target like I used to own.

Although I'm intrigued by the new MK IV ones. Although I don't want to be a Beta Tester for them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've only got a Ruger 22/45 that I bought to use teaching. Since it's my only 22, I guess that makes it my favorite!

I have noticed that it jams a lot more than I'd tolerate in anything but a training aid, though. Since I don't know anything about how it's built, and can barely detail strip the thing, I just use it to teach about jam drills.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only got a Ruger 22/45 that I bought to use teaching. Since it's my only 22, I guess that makes it my favorite!

I have noticed that it jams a lot more than I'd tolerate in anything but a training aid, though. Since I don't know anything about how it's built, and can barely detail strip the thing, I just use it to teach about jam drills.
What ammunition are you using? The only malfunctions I have had were directly related to standard velocity bulk stuff that also malfunctioned in my Bersa T22 and Ruger SR22.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The CCI that comes in the 100 round plastic boxes.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
My .22/45 is the only .22 pistol I have that has been 100% with any ammo I've put in it. Most .22 pistols can be finicky, and some horribly so; but the .22/45 has been completely reliable with everything so far.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The CCI that comes in the 100 round plastic boxes.
CCI has Standard velocity and Mini-Mags, they both come in plastic boxes. The standard velocity is about 220 FPS less than the Mini-mag, I think.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Fwiw, my experiences with various loads in three different .22 pistols: http://armslocker.com/handguns/58442-various-22-loads-different-pistols.html

The mini-mag's are still the only ones to run 100% in any gun I've tried them in. These three pistols, a 10-22, and a marlin 7000; all of them just gobble up mini-mag stuff like it was premium Hornady Match or something. It's taken the place of stingers as my "put back" stuff.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My wife has not bothered to have more than a couple of .22lr conversion units for the pistols and one for her AR. Sigs for the pistols, Ciener for the rifle. I've taken a truckload of game with pistols which would not reliably do better than hitting a 3" disk at 25 yds. if your pistol wont group well enough, you just get closer, that's all. There's also nothing riding on it if you miss.So best to be .22ing with things that handle like your centerfires. Going with the .22lr conversionn also keeps you from having to go on record for guns that you dont have to buy! :) Bound to be some people reading this that value that info. There's even an Airsoft 1911 that can be easily set up to use a .22 unit.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
...if your pistol wont group well enough, you just get closer, that's all.
Wish I still could. I spend a lot of time in the woods, but I'm not particularly stealthy anymore; at least not stealthy enough to sneak up on something one tenth my size.

...So best to be .22ing with things that handle like your centerfires.
Agree completely. It's good to have the same grip, trigger, etc.

...There's even an Airsoft 1911 that can be easily set up to use a .22 unit.
Interesting - what make? I'd be interested in that, as a combo airsoft/rimfire thing for training purposes.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoa! I don't think BATFE would like that! I'll stick to registered frames, thank you very much. I like being on this side of the bar's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
CCI has Standard velocity and Mini-Mags, they both come in plastic boxes. The standard velocity is about 220 FPS less than the Mini-mag, I think.
I found one of the old boxes, they're the Mini-mags. I never looked, I never believed there was a difference until I read this thread.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I found one of the old boxes, they're the Mini-mags. I never looked, I never believed there was a difference until I read this thread.
Are you using mec-gar magazines by any chance? I had 100% good experience with mac-gars for years UNTIL using their 22-45 mags. For whatever reason, my 22-45 runs with every ammo I’ve tried when using the factory mags, but won’t run at ALL, with any ammo, with the mec-gars.

Only bad mec-gar experience I’ve ever had, but four out of four non-functional in my particular gun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No, I only have the mags that came with the gun. It's not a system I wanted to invest any money in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts