Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
I've heard the Same Old S..from Melvinous Ignoramus for roughly 22 years repeated so much I can almost repeat it verbatim as-"SHTF Ignorant Bullshit You Should Never Do!"
Or maybe "A Side Show Mediums Crystal Ball Guide to TEOTWAWKI."?

Registered
30 carbs, 30-30's, why worry about needing "long range'? IN fact, if all they have is 308 ball and iron sighted FALS or HKs, they STILL don't have as much reach as a scoped shorty AR. :) The ball ammo only groups 3" at 100 yds with such guns. :)

you can't even see a man, sitting in the open, on a dirt berm, wearing khakis, with the naked eye, at 300 yds, if all he does is hold still. Not necessarily true. The shorty AR, scoped, snipes quite effectively to 400 yds and hits more than misses at 500 yds, too.

So it's stupid to limit yourself to longer range rifles. you don't need them and to give up the GI rd, the .22 unit, the concealment, the silencer, the luminous sights, the chromed bore and chamber of the AR, all big mistakes.
note the scope one the FAL (mine)...

you like to assume a great many things that simply are not absolutes. People put scopes on weapons other than ARs all the time.

oh, and it only has ball ammo for plinking. otherwise it shoots ballistic tips.

Registered

Registered
I could be wrong, but I鈥檓 pretty sure that we shot in boot camp to 400 meters, which is a quarter mile. And this was with iron sights, on old, beat-to-death rattletrap M-16A1鈥檚, with 1:12 twist barrels and using generic milspec M193 ball ammo. So it鈥檚 definitely do-able; and more than do-able with guns that are more modern, shooting better ammo, and/or guns that are just in better shape in general.

Could I do it now? Absolutely not; but that鈥檚 because my eyes are 40 years older and aren鈥檛 up to it any more. It has nothing to do with the gun itself not being up to it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts