Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Administrator
I've heard the Same Old S..from Melvinous Ignoramus for roughly 22 years repeated so much I can almost repeat it verbatim as-"SHTF Ignorant Bullshit You Should Never Do!"
Or maybe "A Side Show Mediums Crystal Ball Guide to TEOTWAWKI."?

Administrator
30 carbs, 30-30's, why worry about needing "long range'? IN fact, if all they have is 308 ball and iron sighted FALS or HKs, they STILL don't have as much reach as a scoped shorty AR. :) The ball ammo only groups 3" at 100 yds with such guns. :)

you can't even see a man, sitting in the open, on a dirt berm, wearing khakis, with the naked eye, at 300 yds, if all he does is hold still. Not necessarily true. The shorty AR, scoped, snipes quite effectively to 400 yds and hits more than misses at 500 yds, too.

So it's stupid to limit yourself to longer range rifles. you don't need them and to give up the GI rd, the .22 unit, the concealment, the silencer, the luminous sights, the chromed bore and chamber of the AR, all big mistakes.
note the scope one the FAL (mine)...

you like to assume a great many things that simply are not absolutes. People put scopes on weapons other than ARs all the time.

oh, and it only has ball ammo for plinking. otherwise it shoots ballistic tips.

Registered

Registered
I could be wrong, but I鈥檓 pretty sure that we shot in boot camp to 400 meters, which is a quarter mile. And this was with iron sights, on old, beat-to-death rattletrap M-16A1鈥檚, with 1:12 twist barrels and using generic milspec M193 ball ammo. So it鈥檚 definitely do-able; and more than do-able with guns that are more modern, shooting better ammo, and/or guns that are just in better shape in general.

Could I do it now? Absolutely not; but that鈥檚 because my eyes are 40 years older and aren鈥檛 up to it any more. It has nothing to do with the gun itself not being up to it.

Administrator
think so? try it at night. I never said anything about wandering around with your finger up your butt, like garand or terry would do. :) when all you do (at night) for a year is come out to dispose of wastes, get water, now and then access a food cache, there's going to be damned little risk of your being noticed, by anyone. 100x less than some dipshyte who is wandering around in daylight, in the open, firing noisy guns.
So why, in this scenario, does the rifle have to be concealable?

Also, you're going to be leaving a lot of sign that you were there, came you aren't going to be able to disguise your tracks, stumbling around in the dark.

And who is in the open firing guns, and what are they shooting at?

Can you calmly and rationally describe the scenario in detail?

Administrator
you can't even see a man, sitting in the open, on a dirt berm, wearing khakis, with the naked eye, at 300 yds, if all he does is hold still. The shorty AR, scoped, snipes quite effectively to 400 yds and hits more than misses at 500 yds, too.
I don't think so, but define effectively. Also, give us the drops for the rounds out of your shorty. What optics are on it? What distance is it zeroed for? what kind of reticle does it have? FFP or SFP?

Administrator
What I have really started to think about when Mr.JMD makes these claims is the old saying:
"It's the Indian and not the arrow."
But with a nich weapon it's much more complicated.
Disclaimer- The following is from my memory of some posts on the Warrior Talk forums back when they initially built AR pattern firearms and assembled uppers for sale via Suarez International.
The discussion was about the "Shorty" barrels 10.5" IiRC that they could get limited runs of or over runs of made by White Oak Armament for some of the SOCOM MK-18's. The requirements of the barrel integrated in with whatever other Tier One components was to deliver hits in combat out to 300meters.
So Reconsider The Indian and the Arrow analogy:
1.) Tier One Indian(Operator)
2.) Tier One Bow(MK-18 assembled by a Tier One Armorer probably working for either Delta or Devgru.)
3.) Tier One Arrow (Ammunition possibly SOCOM only from Lake City or a mfg like Black Hills.)
Plus let's not forget top tier optics and a can precision aligned with the bore.

Now compare that to all the flinch-tastic claims of Mr.JMD with no set build sheet of parts.
I will give him credit for recommendations for the old Leupold MK III 1.5-5x scope way back in the day.
And lately the Rock River Arms NM Trigger.
Everything else is well a great unknown.

I'm not going to list all his chronic aliments but compared to a Tier One operator.
As some one of physical and cognitive capacity equal to his might say "Come On Man!'
Just saying.

Administrator
think so? try it at night. I never said anything about wandering around with your finger up your butt, like garand or terry would do. :) when all you do (at night) for a year is come out to dispose of wastes, get water, now and then access a food cache, there's going to be damned little risk of your being noticed, by anyone. 100x less than some dipshyte who is wandering around in daylight, in the open, firing noisy guns.
A year's worth of movement to a fixed location (your food caches <- plural) will leave a trail that Stevie Wonder could follow, especially since you're doing it at night. There's no way for you to adequately disguise your path. You will give away your location to anyone that cares.

And since you've openly stated many times you will be ambushing people or killing sentries, you will be out in the daylight. You will be dead most ricky tick

- The suggested reading feature is awesome.

Registered
A year's worth of movement to a fixed location (your food caches <- plural) will leave a trail that Stevie Wonder could follow, especially since you're doing it at night. There's no way for you to adequately disguise your path. You will give away your location to anyone that cares...
But he read it in a book in the "men's adventure" section in the 80's, and over the decades the idea has firmed up and become seemingly perfect in theory.

And as for the dangers of letting your mind 'firm up' on a desired but imperfect concept, Zig Ziglar had a very good line: "Some people's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Logic be darned. Exposed flaws be darned. Progress be darned. "This" is the preferred - and therefore the only non-heretical - scenario.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.