Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, I live by myself, but in a few months the teenager is returning home from his trip to Canada. He may go off to college rather than attend a local one in the fall, I have not decided.
By then I will have guns in the house again. previously, I kept my .357 on a shelf in a locked closet, loaded.
It occurs to me that since I often have to look around for my keys, if I ever really needed a gun in a hurry, it might be a mistake to have it locked in such a situation.
My teen is responsible, but some of his friends that stop by the house when he is here are not as responsible as he is.
I am pondering where I should keep it, so that it is easily accessible yet not a safety hazard.
What do y'all think?

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
asking that question is like asking "where do u keep ur money" once they know ur screwed

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I keep all of my guns in the safe room with the exception of the oh crap guns... those are placed where I can get them if I wake up to see someone I don't know standing over me or if I'm in a spot where someone may assume I'm unarmed.

In your situation, I'd recommend you talk with your son about it and get his opinion as well. That kind of trust will engender him to be even more responsible and to keep an eye out as well making your job easier.

Mike

·
Registered
750 Posts
I can't imagine a college age kid is going to be a saftey issue. There are boys his age kicking in doors and killing men with thier M4 carbines and calling in fire from arty and aircraft being led by other boys his age.

We have handguns and rifles in the mud room, tack room, half a dozen vehicles and in a choice few places around the house. By the time our kids were smart enough to walk they were smart enough to keep their hands off them. By the time they got really intrested in them they had thier own stored in the rooms. One rule, all magazines empty in the house and actions open (along with the big three of saftey of course).

Kids here have always had to learn to mind early, too many ways for them to get hurt to be squeemish with disipline. The firearms were always the least of the worries, livestock and equipment are far more risky.

Other folks kids were always a much bigger problem. The wifes family used to come out thinking it was a petting zoo or some shit. They were appaled when my young boys 10 and 8 at the time came out of thier rooms with rifles stuck em in the Jeeps between the seats rack for a day of prairie dogging and just goofing off. They made thier teenage boy stay at the place with them, sad state of affairs. They were going to ride out on horses. Wifes sister shut that down when thier boy got his lip split holding the halter lead by his horses tossing it's head. You would have thought it was thier first discovery thier boy could bleed LOL.

Teuf,

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Most in a heavy safe, which is itself bolted to the concrete foundation.

A few, “oh crap” guns as HR said, stay elsewhere. Any that aren’t in the safe itself, are either in a small “childsafe” brand box or secured elsewhere discreetly. None that are loaded are unsecured.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
If its not on your person, there's a good chance it won't be with you in a crisis. The simplest place to keep a gun is in a holster, and by your bed while you're sleeping. To facilitate this, choose a gun that's easy to carry such as a j frame .38, Kahr 9mm, Glock 26 or the like and just resolve to carry the damn thing whenever you're wearing clothes.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
In several very heavy and very hard to get into safes. Inthurn this is protected by a fire detection system an safe intrustion system identical to the stuff UL requires of high end jewelery stores and this is in turn covered by a very extensive alarm system with a Commercial grade UL AAA Cell Back up unit.

And a few other suprises.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I store my guns in a secret and cunning manner. Not for "safety" purposes, but for theft purposes. I do have a safe, and all I ask if someone's going to try to get it open, especially with a torch, I want to watch from a safe distance, as I don't store guns in it, but rather the gunpowder and primers. I'm rarely, if ever, more than an arm's reach from a gun. The safest and most accessable place for you to store your guns is on your person. When you go to bed, just keep it on your nightstand.

I'm in agreement with Teuf on this, there's no reason for a man that age to be a safety risk. Or really any age, for that matter, unless the parents were lazy. Myself, and all of the people I grew up with were given our first firearms (.22 rifles) when we were 6, and we kept them in our rooms with at least 1,000 rounds of ammo. There were no sharp intakes of breath, no hand wringing, etc. The rules were clearly laid out for us (unloaded weapons inside, couldn't load or shoot them without supervision--that changed as we got older--couldn't let anyone else handle it for any reason unless supervised, and their parents said it was ok). Never had any problems (probably was the threat of a serious beating, and not being allowed near a gun until we were 18 and bought our own that did it), even the most irresponsible guys I knew never screwed around with their guns. The only people we ever heard of doing stupid stuff with their guns were kids who's parents hid the guns from them.

So my advice would be to show him the gun(s) and let him know up front the do's and don't's and be emphatic about it. I'd also take him shooting so the whole "gun" thing isn't a mystery that draws too much interest. Heck, he might even like it, and it's something you could do together.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Safes are the absolute best for multiple firearms, but are overkill for one or two guns. The exception would be one of the many pistol safes that can be secured to the inside of a closet, for example. It can still be stolen, but it's going to be a lot more hassle for a thief. But a self defense gun does you no good if it's not immediately accessible to you. Several defense guns are alway's at the ready and instantly accessible, the rest in stout, alarm equipped safes.

·
Banned
9,117 Posts
of course, you could also TRY getting hits with a ccw 357 and full power ammo, as fast as good men do the same with an SA 9mm. :) Then you'd realize even MORE how badly the 357 Sucks.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
where there safe

i keep a loaded gun on a shelf above every door in my house. it is out of reach form the kids, they don't even know they there. the older ones once asked me why the shelf above the door and i told them i don't know but you can't put anything on it or it will fall off when you close the door, but it matches the wood work so i leave them there. except at the back door and the sawed off 1100 is kind of obviouse. all the rest are in a giant economy sized fire-resistant gun safe. got 10 lbs of black powder on the bottom and a lable that say's in big red letters, (do not torch cut contains black powder). don't know of it would stop a determined thief but it's bolted to the slab and weighs about 1700 lbs. :bird: if there dumd enough to try and cut it with a torch i guess that my insurance man will be pissed when the whole house explodes. mite even ruin the bad guys day. my wife had a drunk asshole like andy try to force the door on her, she hit the panic button by the door, reached up and pulled a 4" 686 down and the fool was glad to wait for the cops to get there. he sat down on the front porch and asked the cops to hall him off before the lady shot him. :headbang: you need to find a place to put your gun that your kid being an adult will know about and will leave it alone, but you can get to in a real hurry if you have to. lol

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I keep all of my handguns in a pile on the dining room table & the long guns leaning against the wall.The ammo is stacked on the buffet next to a pile of magazines.

W/a couple of others stashed about the house.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
41mag said:
I keep all of my handguns in a pile on the dining room table & the long guns leaning against the wall.The ammo is stacked on the buffet next to a pile of magazines.

W/a couple of others stashed about the house.
This is an excellent example of solid planning. When a bugout occurs, you can just fold up the edges of the tablecloth and run out the door with the whole bundle over your shoulder!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Wylycoyte said:
This is an excellent example of solid planning. When a bugout occurs, you can just fold up the edges of the tablecloth and run out the door with the whole bundle over your shoulder!

EXACTLY! :dgrin:

(& probably why I only have two little green thingies:) )

Reactions: Wylycoyte
1 - 20 of 30 Posts