Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was looking to get started in gunsmithing. Im thinking of going to a tech school about an hour away from my house for their course after highschool. But wanted to get going sooner. Any advice on where to go or what to do? What tools would be needed and such? Where can i get plans for putting rifles togather? One site that i know of that sells parts is, www.midwayusa.com Any other sites i could check out? And remember I know nothing of Gunsmithing at the moment. =)

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Brownell's is another source.

I'd also recommend getting Jerry Kuhnausen's Shop Manuals on various firearms. I've got one on Mauser's and need to get another on 1911's.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi, Ben. Other folks here can probably give you better (more knowledgeable) information than I. I was thinking, though, that you might contact the American Gunsmithing Institute. If I were going to go into any profession, I'd usually start with that profession's general professional organization. I'd bet they can get you started, and heck, they may even have a starter package or something for you. Just a guess.

Are you looking to get into it as a profession, or just as a hobby?

Also, are you interested in general gunsmithing, or in platform-specific work?

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jon, thanks i will check them out. and i havent really decided what i wanna do has my career. gunsmithing sounded really intreseting to me, and im not 100% sure what you mean by platform-specific... do you mean specilize only in rifle or handguns...ect? sorry im toatly new to this. but next monday i will be going to pine techinal collage here in minnesota. cant wait to see their gunsmithing course! i'll let you know what i find out.

-thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yes, ben. Sorry. That's what I meant - "platform specific" = only workin' on one type of gun, for instance only revolvers, or only shotguns, or only 1911s - versus - general gunsmithing.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Also I recommend getting the Gunsmith Kinks series from Brownell's or maybe you can find used copies online for less money.

I've noticed from my gunsmith that you can never have too many books on the subject.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
There are also firearms specific books like Jerry Kuhnhausen's books if you want to work on 1911s, S&W revolvers, Ruger pistols, Mausers etc.

Its always a good idea to buy and use the best professional grade of tools available. Makeshift tools can ruin a firearm.

RIKA

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright, i'll look in to buying some books. my gun dealer said they can help me purchase DPMS AR-15 parts to build one and willing to help me out. so i might be building my first gun from a kit to say.

and tomorrow im going to a gunsmith in my area to talk with him and get some info. any questions i should ask him? by that i mean can you all help me think of some today. my school is taking me tomrrow, the school is being real helpful. its good to be going to a 60 person school for once haha. i go to a secondry school, a place for kids with behavor and learning problems, just if you where wondering.

and i would like to work on all makes and models of guns. so general gunsmithing.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I would see if there are any schools/classes in your area where they teach lathe and milling machine operation. Skillful use of both tools are critical to becoming a good gunsmith. The course should teach how to use files and other hand tools properly. How long is the course? I believe that the gunsmith school in Trinidad CO lasts for 2-3 years so that should give you some idea.

Good luck

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
. . . i might be building my first gun from a kit
Hey Ben - If you are interested in starting with a kit (great idea!), here are a couple of good options . . .

http://www.caspianarms.com/specials.php

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/menu/1911_kits.htm

For a complete first-timer, the Fusion kit might be the better, since it's my feeling (no personal knowledge) that they may provide more informational support as you go through the build, but I'm not sure about that.

Best,
Jon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts