Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, you get woke up by a phone call and your best bud tells you you have 15 minutes to get out of the house and into the woods. You don't know exactly what has happened, but civil order has broken down and no one is at the wheel and things are getting dicey real fast. It's just best to be mobile and outside right NOW and you have to hit the pavement with what you can grab.

Which gun would you grab if you could only grab ONE?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Well speaking realistically, I would have to grab from what I have so it would either be my Remington 870 or my Yugo SKS if I could only have one. Of course I would want to grab a brace of pistols too - but you did say just one.

Now if I had money to buy, I would go right out and buy something in a .308 for when the SHTF - you know something like an AR15 but in that larger caliber.

Back to what I have on hand, I am going to go out on a limb and say the Yugo just because of longer distance capabilities, and because I could carry lots more ammo. That would be a tough call from what is on hand and because under such circumstances I would not leave with just one – but that’s it. By the way, if things are that bad - can I go to my local firearms store and commandeer some weapons??????:) :D ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
IF I could only grab one, it would be a .22 rifle. Reasoning being I can stuff a LOT of ammunition in my pockets and have no way of knowing when I can re-supply.

That said, we have lived with and prepared for such a scenario for years. Full combat packs, long guns and handguns hanging for the grabbing, pistol belts complete right down to fresh water in the canteens. Packs for each dog are ready to go. Vehicles are also stocked. Even if we have to leave on foot, we will be very well armed and fed. If such a situation were to happen, I wouldn't trust anybody but my own kin, and we have a pre-determined rendevous for the extended family. Some might not make it, we're scattered all over the country, but it gives a point of focus, a goal of sorts, aside from the goal of survival.

DC

·
Registered
147 Posts
if things are that bad - can I go to my local firearms store and commandeer some weapons??????
I like the Glenn plan. ;) Would all BATF rules still apply? :D

Seriously, a good "homeland defense" rifle is the must have. But I'd have at least two weapons since the carry piece would already be locked and cocked.......

·
Registered
605 Posts
Probably my 10-22

Mainly because I have half a dozen 25 round clips and a case load of 500 round bricks.

Extremely accurate and lots of firepower. I'm sure there would be other situations that would call for another piece but you said only one! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I too thought about taking a .22LR, but since this was a civil unrest type of thing I opted for a larger further reaching caliber. If the question had been what rifle would I take for survival - then out of those on hand I would have chosen one in .22LR.

Rethinking my pick of .308, if I could not find one at hand I would also readily grab a Ruger Mini 30 or Mini 14, preferably the mini 30. But I have neither right now so I'll stick with the Yugo SKS.

G

·
my Minimi ! and all the belted ammo i have!!! if i need something else like a pistol, shotgun, or a .22......well you guys better be one you toes with all those rugers!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
My .308 M1A rifle and ten loaded magazines. Since my S&W Mpdel 625 is attached to the web belt that carries my spare magazines It is comming too.
My Wife will take her Scout Model M1A her spare magazines and the SIG P220 which is attached to her web belt

·
Registered
8 Posts
My "trouble rifle" is an m-1 that lives by the bed with a garand belt full of A.P next to it. If that wont do it Im probably not going to survive the problem anyhow.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Me, I Don't Plan To Run Far!

:rolleyes: I'll load up my car with: Two rifles, a 30-06 and a 22lr. A 12ga shotgun, and 4 pistols: one 45acp, one 9mm, one 357mag, and a 22. Reasonable amounts of: ammo, water, tinned food, a med pack, several knives, and my binocs will quickly be tossed in. A can of gas, jars of vaseline from both bathrooms, several pounds of powder and whatever propane tanks I have around the house will follow. I'll add some clothes, too; but, it won't take longer than 30-45 minutes to load everything up.

Then I'll drive as far back into the woods behind my house as possible; and settle in as low down and close to the earth as I can get. I'll, then, move back into shooting range of my house and take up a sniper's perch to watch the property. After dark I'll switch to a short-barreled shotgun and sneak back to booby-trap and re:supply. :uzi:

If I am engaged I will follow EXACTLY the same tactics that the LRRP's did in Vietnam: Hit ... Run ... Stop ... Hit ... Run ... Stop ... Hit ... Run ... Stop ... etc. This way I'll lead any engaging force away from, both, my property as well as my cache. It will, also, more or less, 'level the playing field' by minimizing the advantages a larger force would normally have against me.

I know; I know! I'm a mean, sneaky person; and I didn't stay on the one gun theme of this thread; but, then again, if you're going to survive don't ever do what your enemy expects. Oh, yeah, I'm not planning to reload; and that gas can isn't for the car - understand! Like I said, I'm a mean sneaky person; but, at the same time, I would NOT be the first one to attack my neighbors.

Regards, 'AA'

PS: Besides, several of my neighbors own full auto AK-47's and M-16's. When these guys practice in the back fields, the windows vibrate; and it, actually, sounds like an express train is about to come rolling through the living room! Maybe we could form an alliance, or something. Maybe not; but I'm not about to face anyone, either, head-on or round for round - That would be folly!

Sounds damned anti-social, doesn't it! I like my neighbors; I sincerely hope it never comes to this. There is that one guy, though, who still hasn't returned my hedge trimmer. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mauser 98 8mm, I have had this rifle for 35 years and fired thousands of rounds. and have taken many Whitetails. Got lots of ammo and spare parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would be most comfortable with my Hi Point 9mm rifle.

I have a handful of clips and a 1 gal. bucket of ammo.
The 9 has a tinge more power than a .22 and is a bit less cumbersome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i think if it was a really bad situation then i would want to take a high powered rifle like maybe an ak-47 or a sks. but since i shoot and know how to operate a .22 lr i would take that if the others were unavailable. But most of all i would bring the old and experienced with firearms my dad! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
The key here is you don't know what you're going to be dealing with. My answer:

.357 Tracker with a 7" barrel.

Reasons:

1) Can't hide a rifle and not knowing what I'm going to have to deal with I'm going to pick something I can hide while walking across a field, into a store or even a check point.

2) Can't reach much further with a handgun, better range then even a .22 rifle. Plus much better stopping power.

3) There ain't a farmer, store or reloader in the Country that doesn't have a a box if not a stockpile of .357 or .38 so I think I would be able to find rounds in just about any/every situation.

4) Most flexable with the rounds you can shoot as both are common.

5) Needs little cleaning to work, nothing you couldn't do with some spit and a t-shirt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
15 min. is a long time

If I only had time to grab one gun, (time less then 5 min) it would be the Ruger super blackhawk 44mag that lives in my bed side lock box.

Given 15 min it would be that and the win 94 and the ready ammo box, hunting back pack which has survival gear for two for three days, (could streach to 6). The wife would the other blackhawk and 94 in 45LC and her hunting pack.

I like HARD BALL & ARC ANGEL'S responce, and have simular plans. Mine involve my 1911 tug boat and heading for Alaska, (fewer people, and easer survival). Nothing at home is worth my families or my life.

Arc Angel, Hard Ball, and any others, lots of room up there. Can you build a shealter from local materials?

Terry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shotgun. Best all round self defense and survival weapon in my book.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With ammo and parts resupply being important I'de probably take one of my least favorites, a scoped AR15.

As Tim said it's hard to beat a 12ga with shot, buck shot and slugs.

If you haven't read Lucifer's Hammer, read it.
It's one of the best TSHTF books ever written.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having thought about this some more a rifle in 22L may be a better choice. It's light, It's good for small game, can be deadly on humans, makes little noise and you can carry lots of ammo.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I read Lucifer's Hammer a long time ago. Real good read. Another couple of old books along the same lines are Earth Abides and Alas, Babylon.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome To ArmsLocker Forums!

:) Hello, M-2 Carbine! Glad to see you here! This is a good group; we should, all, have some fun together.

By the way I went to the Gun Show in Allentown, today. Took the Florida State course in order to get licensed to carry in 25 states. It was a breeze! LEO's, past and present Military, (with DD 214) and certified firearms instructors (me) DID NOT have to take the class. We, simply, filled out the paperwork, had our pictures taken, got fingerprinted, and that was that. Now all I do is send $117.00, and the paperwork to Florida; and I'm licensed to carry in 25 states - very nice! (You Florida guys are sooo .... lucky.)

If any of the rest of you are interested, send me an e-mail; and I'll put you in touch with the people to talk to.

Seasons Greetings! :santa:

Arc Angel

1 - 20 of 41 Posts