Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christ, you've had years in which to do so. I had my "battery" picked out nearly 20 years ago. Other than the .50 cal top for an AR, havent seen jack squat to change my mind. My choices are still top notch in versatility, performance.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
How do you know what we have or don't have? List your kit and I'll list mine. We'll play your scenario, basic bugout by foot. List what you have ready at this very moment! You have squat, all you have is what your wife buys, you actually have nothing. It must be pathetic to have to be supported by a woman? I can see in your case it allows you no manhood.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Gear improves all the time. Optics get better each year. Survival gear improves each year.

Who says we don't have our battery already?

And if we already have it, anything we add is either more options or spares, or things that are fun. ONce the necessary items are taken care of, then it really doesn't matter if we get more gear or not.

How does having additional stuff take away from what we already have?

If I already have a well - stocked first aid kit, how does having a second or third (or fifth) make my first one any less effective? It doesn't, but now I have redundancy and options.

I'm now prepared for more scenarios and for the possibility that if one is inaccessable, the others aren't.

The same applies to firearms and other gear. If I have more than one rifle, but can only take one with me if SHTF, so what? hows does this make the one I take with me suddenly less effective?

But, by having more than one, I have options. What if one is dmaged, or stolen, or whatever. I'm not SOL like the guy who assumes that everything will only go the way they want and expect them to.

Or is this just thinly disguised jealousy because so many people can and do own what they want?

:devil:

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Being prepared for any eventuality is what is important. I'm shooting a 3 gun match in the morning, I like to be prepared. Right now stacked on the kitchen floor ready to load in the morning are 2 pistols, 2 rifles, 2 shotguns and about 2,000 rds of ammo. Probably won't need it all, I've had 4 primary firearm breakages in the last 10 years in matches so I carry a backup. As for the ammo, if I have to reshoot a stage or a friend needs a couple of extra rounds I'm ready.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I think most of us have our SHTF gear and plans squared away. After all, we DID something for those 13.5 years you were in the klink not preparing at all.

As I and others have said time and again, once you've got what you NEED, you can get what you WANT. Well, WE can anyway.

However, most of us also don't think that our plans/gear is foolproof, so we always look for something better. For one, I haven't seen much of anything I'd swap my gear out for. Sure, soem things do what I want better than what I have, but it usually means giving up something that mine does adequately, but the new gear won't do at all, so I don't change. Simple really.

See now, what's funny, is most of us have our "namad" bug out gear set up. In my case it's the first thing that goes in the truck. Then all the other gear. Bugging out on foot is always an option for us. It's your ONLY option, if you even have gear (which you won't ever talk about, so you probably don't).

I've even had a couple of SHTF scenarios happen here. First was the major fires in '98 and we had to evacuate. Made it to the closest shtf retreat no problems. Second was hurricane Floyd. Made it to the chosen retreat no problem, and that was with just about the entire east coast of Florida evacuating tying up the roads (ain't 4wd great?). Guess what? No one else EVER came to where we went. So much for the millions coming in droves theory.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well gee wiz GK. Guess what I've a a basic survival battery since I was 16 years old.

But I've upgraded since then when something comes along that's better or when I can afford better.

Back then my main .223 rifle was a Mini-14 now I have a Colt M-4 Sporter.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
My situation is somewhat different as you know. My Dad has been involved with survival since 1966 and has acquired all kinds of guns and gear since that date. I became involved in 1998 at 18 years old. Since then have been acquiring guns and gear that suit me on my own as well as using my Dad's surplus stuff. And I am constantly testing and upgrading our gear. We are quite prepared to survive and whats more important (something you would consider stupid) we are able to help some of our less fortunate friends survive.

GK, I think you would be very surprised to know what kinds of guns and gear the guys and I have that we don't make a big deal about.

RIKA

G

·
Stupekid has a whole lot of NOTHING. No guns, no gear, no SKILLS, no nothing. So that is the REAL question, how is stupekid going to survive 10 min. in any SHTF. The answer is, no he isn't.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Picking out the guns you want and always having them are two different things.

It's obvious that you've had you gear picked out 20 years ago because much of your info is so outdated.

Most people here have multiple guns, because they can, and they have the basic weapons they would grab to live off the land and/or fight if need be.

If your 'scenario' doesn't play out just as you 'envision' it, and it won't, then your little, limited, specific selection that you are glued to will have numerous and serious disadvantages.

G

·
Basic observation GK

We are versitile and readily adaptable,you are not.
We can afford gear that you cannot.
We train as much as possible while you sit in front of a monitor.

Any questions?

·
Registered
95 Posts
^^^^That was me by the way^^^^

Forgot to log on,...see Im not perfect GK but atleast I can admit when I make a mistake so that puts me well ahead of you

Ill leave the light on for you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts