Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys r always trying to make a rifle into a pistol or shotgun, pistol into a rifle or shotgun, shotgun into a rifle or pistol. Why don't you just have the tool for the job? You can just SKIP the shotgun, for any sort of serious work, and for fun, why not just use a pistol on the small stuff? It IS just for fun, right? So what does it matter how many birds or rabbits you take? If you get a lw, compact, takedown rifle, with several types of of upper-receivers and barrel combos, like the AR-15 offers, you are as well off as anyone is with a rifle. If you have an alloy frame 1911, with various sizes and calibers of slide groups, and some sort of good pocket pistol, you are good to go, really. You can handle any sort of realistic need for a gun with the above 3, and do very well indeed at any sort of match, to include metallic silohuette, by means of the single shot conversion of the 1911.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Generally I agree with what you say here John. My choices would be different, but basically you are right.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
The right tool for the job of harvesting ducks, geese, grouse, pheasant and woodcock IS a shotgun. I can't see myself sneaking up on a flock of ducks with a .45 or .22 pistol. My Labrador would call me rude names in dog language. Probably 9 out of 10 shots at feathered game are in the air. You certainly wouldn't suggest pumping 9MM's .45 ACP, or .22's into the air, would you? For furred small game such as rabbit, I often use a shotgun with No. 6 Lead shot. Usually a 16 Gauge Browning, but sometimes my 12 Gauge. For squirrel's I use a 'scoped .22 Ruger 10/22. I've hunted and got some with my Ruger 6 7/8" MKII. A lot of work for about a pound of squirrel. Shooting feathered game with a rifle or pistol is against the law in most states. Northern Whitetail deer are big. I use a Browning 30/06 for them. I have used a BSA 7MM Magnum, but it seems a bit much. My Son took his first deer with a Chinese SKS. It dropped immediately, but was only a 40 yard shot. The right tool for the job does not consist one thing. Besides, having lot's of gun's is fun!

·
Registered
163 Posts
11 rifles, 9 shotguns and 4 hand guns, definitely, the more the merrier.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
ya! cowboy,, for sure! the more the merrier.

you got me beat on the shotguns i got[6] at the house

but your trailin' me on the rifles [14] if you count.22rimfires[3]

and brother, i'm over the hill long gone outta sight on the handguns [15]
not counting [2]other caliber barrels for the target/play pistol

i just laid all of those pistols out on the bed last week an kept remembering of one here, or one there, whew! i stopped keeping count and was wondering to myself WHY! i've drug [4] home this year.

i'm glad your back and posting ,as when i decieded to join this fine forum
i was reading some of your past posts, and thought this was a pretty tight/cool place.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
If the balloon ever goes up, there will not be a prize for the person that survives with the minimum amount of firearms. Different situations benefit different firearms. Personally there are many nights I was on a patrol exercise at night when given the geographic location a shotgun would be a superior choice. I have seen feral dog packs while in the Middle East where a shotgun did prove a superior choice. erika/gunkid, your choices are not an intelligent choice for my circumstances.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the kind words there Hammer, the count on the rifles is a bit off tho, I have three in my shop that are works-in-progress so to speak, not counting of course the '03 action since I'm not sure whether I want a 9.3x62 or 375 H&H, probably the 9.3. I got the semi-inlet stock already just need to make up my mind ans send the action off to Al Story for the barrel.

This can be a Waaay cool place, just need to get everyone back on subject (myself included). :bird:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts