Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a 13 year old kid, I once dug a 4x4 ft hole, 7 ft deep, in one day, by myself. We needed a well, and that was the start, but that night,we got a HUGE rain, that both collapsed the sides of my hole, but also filled up the cattle pond quite a bit, and got the spring flowing again. So there was no need to finish the "well'. Point IS, you can dig a spiderhole in one night, and SHOULD have a few ALREADY dug and cvoered at your retreat area. Once in that hole, you can sleep the days away, and dig at night. In a week, you can have a very nice below ground shelter, and yes, that DOES include scatter-hiding the evactuated earth.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Its possible and I have no doubt that many of us will do it for an emergency expedient shelter however its not the ideal thing. I prefer to live relatively comfortably while I can - not as a homeless person. You seem to want to live that way by choice. I don't.

Plans can quickly change but I'm adaptable.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like most others, u THINK u r, that's all.

u know the story Cooper told of the Wehrmacht soldier, taken to Siberia, to be worked to death in a salt mine? They weren't even fenced in, because the Russians KNEW that the pussies wouldn't even TRY to escape. Out of 3000 men in the camp, only ONE dared try it. He TOOK food from those who wouldn't FIGHT to keep it, kept himself fit ,and on the LOOKOUT for a decent chance.

A Russian guard asked if anyone could repair typewriters. He volunteered, even tho he knew NOTHING about such a subject. The guard took him to a guard shack, where a typewriter lay in pcs. The guard said:" Have it working when I return, or I'll kill you. the inmate did stretching exercises, and waited. When the guard returned, he hit the Russian across the face with a pc of firewood, took his clothes, warm coat, shoes, rifle and ammo, and started hiking back down the rr. The only way he knew to get back to Germany.,

He discovered that every 20-30 miles,there was a little guard shack, where 2 men kept firewood and water ready for the steam locomotives. He' d wait until one came out to piss, shoot him, the other would come out to see what was up, and he'd shoot him too. He'd take what he needed from the shack, and walk on.
]
He got to Moscow, where he ran afoul of the locals. He tied himself under a train, and it took him BACK to Siberia. He did his thing AGAIN, and made it all the way to W. Berlin. 1 in 3000 "fighting-men". Ha.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I well know the story of the German. Don't judge all of us by your standards. You would be very surprised what people can do when they want to survive and you would be surprised if you met me. Your underestimation of people will kill you.

RIKA

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Its a pathetic opinion of you, not one that has been underestimated. You haven't done any significant shooting in 30 years. You are a hasbeen, thats assuming you were something to begin with. Hack doesn't think so!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
223 fan said:
As a 13 year old kid, I once dug a 4x4 ft hole, 7 ft deep, in one day, by myself. We needed a well, and that was the start, but that night,we got a HUGE rain, that both collapsed the sides of my hole, but also filled up the cattle pond quite a bit, and got the spring flowing again. So there was no need to finish the "well'. Point IS, you can dig a spiderhole in one night, and SHOULD have a few ALREADY dug and cvoered at your retreat area. Once in that hole, you can sleep the days away, and dig at night. In a week, you can have a very nice below ground shelter, and yes, that DOES include scatter-hiding the evactuated earth.
According to your story, a rain would come and drown you the first night you tried digging that hole. That is the moral I got.
KJ

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Erika, I would be interested in hearing more on the experiences of that German soldier. Are there any books out on it?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Garand

JD got that story from Jeff Coopers book, "To ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth".

There are several such examples of human perserverance, really a great book.

The whole idea of using natural shelters is a good one, we have lots of rock shelters in our area that would work out great. The best ones always seem to have graffiti in them, damm indians had nothing better to do but write on the wall apparently.

Teuf,

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we dug the WELL in the most LIKELY

area to have water, stupid. If you want to dig a shelter in such an area, be my guest, dumbass. you dont dig shelter DEEP, you dig them SIDEWAYS into a hill, or tall creekbank not much below the top of same, dummy

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
> into a hill

What's a hill? Besides, do you mean places actually exist where the water table isn't less than 6" below the surface?

From my experience in my neck of the woods (I mean swamp), those sites are just myths. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts