Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the idea of ever getting good with realistic armament, so you just dick around with toy guns? Why not just play tiddlywinks with the little ones? good for your soul and for their physical developement, doesn't cost you, no trip to the range is needed, etc.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Black powder guns are fun, interesting, historical and challenging. Most of us are very good with combat weapons. No reason at all not to enjoy ourselves once in a while.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
why waste the time &$? cause u've give up on the idea of ever getting good with realistic armament, so you just dick around with toy guns? Why not just play tiddlywinks with the little ones? good for your soul and for their physical developement, doesn't cost you, no trip to the range is needed, etc.
Because it gives you another hunting season in most states. They are purely a hunting tool and there are specific hunting seasons for them in most states.

THAT is about 99% of the reason most people nowadays own them. They are also relatively inexpensive and legally are usually not considered a firearm.

Take a look at what people are buying as a 'muzzleloader'. Unless the law specifically states 'primitive' (flintlock) many of those weapons use inline shotgun primers, XTP bullets in sabot jackets, and premeasured charges that are pressed into a single cylindrical 'pill'. Many of these muzzleloaders have scopes on them and they shoot and feel like a modern rifle.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Yep, there's the aforementioned extra season.

A lot of people use them in regular season also. WHY? Because hunting with one and getting a kill is HARDER. Getting a good kill with a standard centerfire is a lot easier when you're used to hunting with BP arms and/or bows. So it's good practice.

BP guns, are, in general, cheap, unless you get into historical repros.

Then there's the history. Most people like things other than daydreaming that they could kill people.

Why not? We have jobs, we can afford them. What's your excuse?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Blak Powder is very popular here in Wyoming and we don't (with rare exception) even have a special black powder season. People shoot plack powder for fun. Anyhow, that's the reason I shot black powder for years. As for tiddlywinks with the tots. Why not take them shooting instead?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
For me ML's are fun. It seems like the ultimate test of shooting skill when you load the shot at every step and then must make that one shot count.

Don't forget that "modern" (cartridge) guns have only been commonplace for about 130 years. ML's ruled for over 500 years before.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the same reason that some folk want a "useless, canned, 223" different folk like different toys, personally I own several BP arms flintlock to modern, many martial arms
US and European, next month may be a 6.5x '06? or whatever strikes me as "Cool"
Course I am not a collector just an accumulator and I can have ennythin' I want

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
on the idea of ever getting good with realistic armament, so you just dick around with toy guns? Why not just play tiddlywinks with the little ones? good for your soul and for their physical developement, doesn't cost you, no trip to the range is needed, etc.
This is a major non-sequitor. How does the use of Black powder imply any of what you have said?

This sounds a lot like the .308 forces you to stand in the open fantasy you bring up often. Or perhaps it is just sour grapes that others can actually go out and enjoy recreational activities that you cannot because of your criminal status.

Besides, why are you here? I thought Your site was going to make this place a ghost town.... I was under the impression that you couldn't wait to be free from us - yet here you are. I guess you got tired of talking to yourself at your site. Oh well.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Cornbread is right. Gunkid can fantisize as much as he wants, but I have a Deerstalker .50 cal. and when I go deer hunting (I also bow hunt) it's refreashing to just HUNT and not have some SHTF daydream like gunkid.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Any experience where you gain knowledge, is never a waste of time or money. The above comment comes from the narrow minded. If the balloon ever goes up, those that show flexibility and versatility will be the ones to survive. Others will be dog food.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Garand,

When I bow hunt I have to totaly de-sent myself. I have to watch my camoflage VERY carefully. I have to do a great deal of recon to get the right setup (multi deer trails, thermoclines, eating habbits of the local deer, best stalking routes, where water is, etc..)

These are things you never really care so much when hunting with a rifle. Muzzleloaders are almost like bow if you use old fashion smokepoles (and mine is little 'v' sigths that are adjustable with a hammer!)

Really, if the muzzleloader is old style, it's about like a real good compound bow as for as practicle range (like 70 yards.) Not anywhere near the hold over as a bow but with the crude sights, guaranteing a one shot kill is not easy.

Yes gunkid does not have a clue about this. He just has to much TV time on his hands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts