Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everybody think about the Wilson and Kimber 1911's. A friend of mine bought a kimber and it was the best handgun I had ever fired. It shot so tight that it even made ME look good! LOL. But would I have to go with wilson because they are from my state. I'm sure they are both execellent guns.

Nick

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
neither, unless u get one used, for half

of retail (or less,in the case of the Wilson) Stick to used, "fully loaded" Spld's, preferably the alloy compact, for under $500, and you can't lose. Remember, 80+% of the shots fired in justifiable civilian self defense are fired at 10 FEET or less, with over half of them fired at 6 FEET or less, 90+% at 15 FEET or less, 95+% at 20 FEET or less, and 99+% fired at 30 ft or less. Most attacks are not made with a gun, so you risk prison, or financial ruin if you fire at more than about 10 ft.

I've taken hundreds of animals with guns that wouldn't group 3" at 25 yds, and I've won scores of combat matche. s with guns that grouped no better than that.

Even at Bullseye matches, the 10 ring is 3.5" in Diameter, at 25 yds, and x counts just break ties. In other words, if I get 10, 10's, and NO x's, I beat you with 99 points, and 9 x's. 2/3rds of the NRA course is shot at 25 yds. If your gun will group 3" there, and you do your part, it will group 8" at 50 yds. If you get perfect scores at rapid and timed fire, and stay in the 8" circle of the 8 ring at 50 yds, you will WIN any BE match, short of one where the NATIONAL champs compete (using iron sights, anyway)

If all your shots are inside the 8 ring, about 4 of 10 will be 10's, and 3 of the remainder will be 9's. so you are going to score about 90 out of 100 points. 290,out of 300, with a .45, WINS, unless the optical sights and TOP men are present. Many times, 270 out of 300 points, will win, especially if it's really hot, really cold, windy, etc, 250 out of 300 will win. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am told Kimber makes a great 1911, never tried one.
I have been very happy with my Springfield Armory 1911-A1.
Quite accurate, rugged, well made.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
just don't pay full retail, and dont get

the "military" model, because you will either get rid of it, or pay a smith way too much to make it the equal of the "fully-loaded" version, and if you ever sell it, you wont get any more for the smithed gun than will the guy who had enough smarts to get the fully loaded model from the start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like a man who says what he thinks. I don't plan to get
rid of it. I have no problem with hammer up, safety cocked.
one fast flick of the thumb and READY TO DO BUSINESS.

BUT hey thanks for the input.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My SA Loaded turned out to be a gem. Great trigger, reliable and way more accurate than I. The Wilsons are in another class in price and I assume craftsmanship than Kimbers or SA.

I've only been here a week or so but it is about the most grown up group of gun nuts I've come across on the Web. With no one getting all bent out of shape over different views. Good to see.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I think I just asked people to act like adults. Differences of opinion are to be expected among people who think for themselves, and have a broad base of experiences.

But there is no reason to antagonize someone for thinking about something differently than you do. I think everyone has something to add knowledgewise, so I just want people to share the brainpower without ego getting in the way.

There are some obviously very knowledgeable people who come here and I, for one, would like to be able to read what they say without seeing an obvious chip on their shoulder. Supplying the baggage of an abrasive attitude along with information, no matter how great, just shuts the door on a reader's opinion of the worthiness of what they have to offer.

Gunowners are under siege. So can we really afford to be divisive among ourselves?

If the sh!t ever does really hit the fan, probably the one survival skill that will be of most value is the ability to get along with other people. Otherwise the struggling survivors will simply shoot the pain in the butt who can't get along with anyone else, and be done with it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Regardless of how much they might have

to offer, they will probably be disease ridden. I intend to stay as remote from everyone as possible. The guys who are COUNTING on having help are making a big mistake. You can't REALLY count on anyone to even stand by you if you are accused of a crime, much less when it costs them blood, pain, etc.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
there's Western Fast Draw, done with

blanks or wax bullets, and then there's IDPA and IPSC "combat" matches, done with live ammo, but I haven't heard of any Leatherslaps being put on by those organizations in many years. They are probably scared of having somebody blow off a foot. It does take many scores of hours of work, dryfiring, primer powered wax (or airguns) then live fire, to get to be truly fast with the draw. REAL Concealed draw speed is so rare that it's practically unknown. There's nothing much consistent in the range, target size, start position for the hands, holster requirments, how the timing is done, etc, so you might see times as fast as ..40 second, for hand on gun start, with an openly worn speed rig, at arm's length, or as "slow" as 1.5 second for starting with hands at "crucifiction", gun really concealed under a fastened coat, for a head shot at 10m.

So I guess I need to know more about what you want to know, in order to better answer your question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
getting first Kimber 1911

I'm psyched....I'm getting the high-capacity model with the synthetic frame..the Ten II . It's got the Gold cup features, fully adjustable rear sight, light trigger, etc. Picking it up Friday....I'll be doing the happy dance.

-R.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
some people have money to waste. Many, many a Kimber or Wilson user has been beaten by a man using a used, $500 "fully loaded" Springfield. But hey, I'm a guy who is concerned with PERFORMANCE, and almost nobody else is. :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have no doubt IDPA and IPSC are scared they might blow a foot off doing leather slaps. After all, gunkid DID shoot himself in the foot.

As for 1911s, Wilsons are great. Kimbers are great. Sure, even Springfield Armory pistols are pretty good. And one of them will do the deed. But unlike gunkid, I HAVE A KIMBER. I even practiced with it Sunday afternoon. That's something gunkid CAN'T do!

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
I have an early Wilson "LTD", that I have been using for years. Its a great gun providing you do your part. Remember, marksmanship is a PERISHABLE SKILL.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My primary carry weapon is a Kimber Ultra II, after a few minor teething probs, it has proven to be as reliable as my 44 spl. which is my second choice carry.
SatCong

1 - 20 of 37 Posts