Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some advise on how to have a shotgun repaired my late dad left a rag in the lower barrel and it caused a bulge in it it dose not seem to effect the gun but would like to have it fixed.its about 1-11/2 " from the end of the barrel can it be cut dn

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Federal law says that you can't cut a barrel to shorter than 18 inches. I'd make that 18 1/2 to 19 inches to be on the safe side. If its a normal O/U the barrels should be 26 inches + so you should be safe.

If you can find a good oldfashioned shotgun smith he may be able to bump the bulge back down without resorting to cutting. Thats the best option IMO and worth checking out.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
find a good smith on the net that can iron out the bulge. if its done right you will never know it was there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i called a few gunsmiths havenot found one who can bump the it out one thought he could cut it out if it did not change the choke its a win 101 o/u an a new set of bsarrels mmight be the way to go

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just keep in mind that unlike rifles, where cutting them down can sometimes rob your energy as you don't give it enough time to burn all the powder, cutting a shotgun down from 24 to 22, etc should produce no negative effects...so if you can have it done cheaply enough, that may be the way to go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks i have not found anyone yet the one gunsmith here said he would cut the barrels dnand add screw in chokes for 500.00 he did not even want to look at the gun just wanted to install screw in chokes

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
that gunsmith is a moron. try briley, and go to the shotgun pages via google. put in shotgun repair, you should get some hits. and 500.00 for chokes is just plan stupid. the smiths in the houston area will do it for 85.00 per barrel.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ask the smith you find to do a 'dye penatrate check' (if he does not mention it himself), that'll tell ya if the bbl has any micro fractures that would mean new instead of repair. He might have to cut too far down to get back to good metal and re-crown. If this is a specialty gun,'skeet-trap, etc, might be time for new bbl's. Just a thought...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts