Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used this load at all? I can't find much about it online. The fact that it manages to hit 1200 ft/lbs with that heavy of a bullet is the main reason I'm looking at it.

Super Moderator
No not yet haven't gotten around to building the upper receiver in .300BO.
Still clearing out other projects.
Something to keep in mind ammo wise however.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only reason it caught my eye is because of its polymer tip. When I was buffing out the feed-ramp problem on my .300 pistol, I may (or may not) have compromised the hard anodizing on the M4 feed ramps. Not a functional issue at all, but possibly a lifespan-shortening issue on those aluminum ramp extensions. Largely because I don't absolutely know for certain that I didn't hurt/soften them, I've decided to stick with only polymer-tip ammo in that gun, or possibly exposed-lead softpoints as well. The way my life situation is right now, this gun will likely only see a few thousand rounds, not tens of thousands, so I figure it shouldn't(?) be an issue, especially if I stick with soft-tipped ammo. It already likes the hornady 110 vmax, so that'll likely be my continued go-to for it. But in looking specifically for polymer-tipped .300bk ammo, this 150-grain winchester load and nosler's 110 varmageddon came up. The varmageddon has a lot online about it, but the 150 winchester doesn't seem to have much info out there on it.

The nosler 110 is a surprisingly short-oal round, and that initially worried me, as I've more than once had short-oal rounds cause feed issues in pistols; not sure how big a deal it is in rifles. But I bought a small amount of the nosler to test, and where the shoulder of the 30-caliber bullet hits the magazine rib (that was intended for a .223-caliber bullet), it actually looks darn near perfect. Haven't fired any yet; too much going on work- and family-wise.

Super Moderator
I will say, without hesitation, that the 125's are absolutely devastating on Javelina. They are supersonic, and they expand nicely out to 200 yards. I haven't shot anything beyond that, so I don't know how well they do, at say 300 - but I will find out eventually. I may use my .300 to hunt Coues, which are a very small whitetail species.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts