Arms Locker banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve rambled more than once about finding a new .223 factory deer load over the past few months, and was surprised when doing some checking on one load that caught my eye; Winchester’s 64-grain “PowerPointPlus” load. The initial review of this that I read said it was just a moly-coated version of their PowerPoint load, but turns out that’s wrong. It’s a whole different bullet, a moly-coated soft-point with a cannelure, and claiming (I haven’t verified) an extra 70 fps velocity. Must confess I took it hunting without firing a single round of it through my gun; but in the area I hunt, ranges are short enough that switching bullet weights is basically irrelevant. Took a small deer with it at 80-90 yards (which is a longer-than-normal shot where I hunt), but it wasn’t a real test of the ammo, as it was a spinal-cord shot, and most any load would have worked fine.

What surprised me was reading Winchester’s literature. They use a numbering system, for recommending a given load for a given type of game. All their .223 loads are a “1” listing, basically groundhog, fox, etc. This PP+ load is the only .223 load they’ve listed as a number “2” category load, which is what they recommend for deer and black bear.

Granted, mfr’s often exaggerate their fps claims, but I haven’t come across them “over-listing” their loads for a given game animal before. Seems there’d be a real liability potential in recommending a too-light load for a potentially dangerous animal, (i.e., any company specifically recommending using an underpowered load for dangerous game would be inviting lawsuits by the hunter’s surviving family…)

A little further checking showed this load to be basically a moly-coated version of a load that Winchester makes specifically and only, for some LE agency in California.

Anybody else have any experience with this one?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
To add another question, does anyone know of a good less expensive source for the regular 64gr PowerPoint? Possibly by the case of 250 or 500.

RIKA

1 - 2 of 2 Posts