Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I range tested my two M44's and I got pitiful results. Between the two rifles, I got 2 rounds on paper at 100yds. After about 16 rounds I said, "To hell with it" and left. Anyone have any explanation? My buddy suggested that the bores were:
A) completely worn out

-or-

B) need to be scrubbed real good

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
mojosights.com?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
U can't LOOK and see what conditions the bores are in? test other rifles same day, see if flinching? Shoot at closer ranges, see if sights are off? Check if sights are loose? try other types of ammo, let somebody else shoot the guns. look for out of round holes on paper, at 25, 50 m?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Andy has offered good advice.

RIKA

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U can't LOOK and see what conditions the bores are in?
I have nothing to compare it to, but the parts I see look fine.

test other rifles same day, see if flinching?
I don't flinch with that 54R, especially when I was shooting 3" slugs a few minutes earlier.

Shoot at closer ranges, see if sights are off?
It's a possibility, but I have no free time recently. TSA has a habit of fucking things up. My M44 had the front sight completely knocked off when I picked it up at baggage claim at DIA.

try other types of ammo
Wolf and Norma are the only brands I can find, and I'll be damned if I pay $40+ dollars for a box of Norma.

let somebody else shoot the guns
I did, my friend Mags was with me, and one of the two M44s was her birthday present. She had the same luck as I did, and she's been shooting longer than I have.

look for out of round holes on paper, at 25, 50 m?
All the gun clubs up here in Ft. Collins are maxed out and the closest public range is the Family Shooting Center in Aurora. Over 50miles away.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
run an ad in the paper, lining up guys like yourself. When you get $1000 committed, lay your needs on a bunch of realtors, they'll know somebody with some wasteland who'd like $1k a year for nothing.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
take a close look at the muzzles, for dings? if the bullets fit in the barrels, and the riflling is clear and sharp edged, then your sights must be loose, or something else drastic is wrong.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the rifling, I just took a good look at it, it's barely visible. I'll take it to the gunsmith this weekend.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
nothing anyone can do about the rifling, except rebarrel it. Maybe cut off the barrel, set it back, and rechamber, but a Mosin aint worth it. Any smith worthy of the name gets $50 an hour, so one hour of his time is more than the mosin is worth,

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Andy has a point. If the rifling is gone there isn't much you can do but go the next gun show and get another with good rifling. At least they are cheap.

Sorry.

RIKA

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damnit!! I thought Aztec was supposed to be good!! :headbang:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Did they give you a "quote" on bore condition?
Or did you ask for a handpick?

If not, they just pull 'em off the pile without checking them. That's how ordering from surplus houses goes. If you tell them to handpick for bore condition, they'll send you a good one ($10 fee, last I checked). That's one reason I buy from shops, I can inspect the rifle before I buy, it's worth the extra $25 to me.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did they give you a "quote" on bore condition?
The website stated that all rifles had a bore of "good" condition.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this will sound stupid, but before you do anything shoot them both with the bayonets extended.
I own both an M-38 and I have owned M-44's, the M-44's shoot significantly better with the bayonet extended.
The M-38 does not have a bayonet and it is accurate, the M-44 is as accurate with the bayonett extended.
The only thing I can figure out that can effect accuracy is the big hunk of metal that the bayonet is attached to, at the muzzle end of the rifle.
Anyone I know that has an M-44 has had the same problem has fixed it by shooting it with the bayonet extended.
:uzi:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know this will sound stupid, but before you do anything shoot them both with the bayonets extended.
That's not stupid, most people don't know the M44's sights are setup like that, and yes, I fired them both with bayonets extended.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
pretty lame set up. Just creates serioius problems in tight areas, especially if there's more than one of you running, tripping, swinging around a long-assed bayonet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
84 C4 said:
That's not stupid, most people don't know the M44's sights are setup like that, and yes, I fired them both with bayonets extended.
That's why I own an M-38 instead of M-44's!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Andy, the bayonet can be removed and the sights adjusted if the bayonet is a problem. Most people just leave them on as its a fun gun anyway.

RIKA

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check the action bedding screws to see if they are loose or possibly too tight, and yes they can be too tight. I've picked up several good rifles because the owner got heavy handed with the screwdriver.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's why I own an M-38 instead of M-44's!
Aztec's been sold out of those for a couple months, and they're also a little more expensive than the 91/30's and 44's. I was originally thinking of buying one, but I like the affixed bayonet.

pretty lame set up. Just creates serioius problems in tight areas, especially if there's more than one of you running, tripping, swinging around a long-assed bayonet.
For the Soviets, it was a great setup. The Soviets frequently had shortages of ammunition (and rifles), so it worked to their advantage in house to house fighting against the Germans.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts