Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some fun here, even as recently as a few posts ago, but I got to looking at the topic headers, and some of the posts (ones that were pretty much on my own mental ignore list) and I figured why bother reading or posting here anymore. Man oh man, you guys even have a Pissing Match or Duel forum and cannot keep the incessant trash in there. I am no angel when it comes to posting, I give out jabs with the best of us, but I think I do give it a break. Some of you just take this whole 'gotta slam the other guy thing way to far' because you just don't give it a break and you make it a focal point of your using this site. Too bad, because a lot of you seem to know gun stuff. Well too bad for me anyhow, because I like what the site was meant to be but not what it has become, it is really horrible now. By the ay, all you guys who want to blame the webmaster, just remember it is many of you who are posting the trash! I am not leaving the site, I am too hopeful that it will improve, but I surely will be cutting back on my posts and my reading - it is just too much of a pain to have to wade through all of the really nasty trash.

Best regards,
GB

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
they DON'T know gun stuff, that's WHY they have to post all their crap. Just take a look at the ONE guy who's posted 90% of the gun topics here, and you'll see who's what. :)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what a shame...it will just continue...

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
they DON'T know gun stuff, that's WHY they have to post all their crap. Just take a look at the ONE guy who's posted 90% of the gun topics here, and you'll see who's what. :)
Just look at the utter arrogance of this post. If GK would just cut the crap then the other attack postings would dwindle down to almost zero.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
Except, most of your posts AREN'T gun topics, and of the ones you do post, many of them are simply wrong.

If you cut the insults and the crap, people wouldn't respond like they do.

There is a reason you are banned from just about every single site you visit, a reason that everywhere you had moderator privs dried up and died.

Deny all you want, but you're the one getting banned everywhere. Might just be that YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Sure, people give you grief - but look at what you post.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It's kind of like watching a bee and a spider fight it out in a glass jar.

Problem is, even if the bee wins, it still dies.

·
Registered
750 Posts
No it isn't krept

krept said:

It's just an internet BB, the only one thats takes it serious at all is the one who derives his "experience" and self esteen from these exchanges. Most of the rest of the folks here are actually out doing (like in real life JD :) ) the preparednes/survival thing, they don't come here for "experience".

This is the only crowd JD can get to preform for, why do you think he keeps coming back. Hell, I gave him a pass worded forum for his folks to chat all they wanted without disruption. He couldn't get any of his "advocates" in there to discuss the pure essence of his teachings.

Teuf,

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
krept said:

Naw, it's more fun than that.

It's clear that JD likes the attention, and we enjoy poking at him.

It's a win-win situation. JD gets the attention he so desparately craves, and we get to have a little fun blowing off steam pointing out just how silly he is.

Of course, he takes it all too seriously, especially the utter nonsense he posts. (he really beleives his crap)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's clear that JD likes the attention, and we enjoy poking at him.
I think that was a pretty honest explanation of what is happening here, but not really all the way to the meat of the matter. I don't see it as a win-win situation but more a lose-lose situation. JD, and others, would get at least the same amount of attention if they just posted respectfully and if they posted mostly gun stuff. There is something other than attention or fun (from blowing off steam) tht seemingly is being sought here, and that is where it becomes a lose-lose situation. No one is going to achieve whatever it is they really want out of this site by carrying on in the way things have been going; that is unless what any of us wants is to be a jerk.

Do you really believe that JD wants attention that berates and belittles him? Sure this is the result of his negative and nasty posts - as he slams so shall he be slammed and he gets slammed right back. I don't believe for a minute that his inappropriate postings are realy an attempt by him, at least a conscious attempt, to get slammed right back. I think he has chosen an inappropriate way to deal with others and he has to live with that until he gets some help and changes himself. I am not condoning it, I think his posts suck, but I can understand that he may have a problem and he may need some help.

His behavior is not really an excuse for anyone else's behavior. Of course I also understand that his behavior is irrascible - just downright abrasive - and sooner or later someone will strike back - I do it myself. The thing is we don't have to make a daily habit of it, nor do we have to make it our life's passion. If you look around at some of the Arms Locker users, you can easily see at least one or two have done just that and they try to drag others into the fray with them. This is not just blowing off steam.

Think about it: Do you honestly believe that any of us others just want to blow off steam and that is why we read, get angry, and then reply JD's posts? The steam would not be there in the first place to blow off, would it, unless you actually read his posts and let them bother you (yes they are quite abrasive and make being bothered an easy thing to achieve)! So why make yourself get hot over and over again in the first place by reading all of his posts? That makes little sense, unless you like continuosly getting hot, and then continuously firing back with nasty stuff to match his. If that is the case then whomever gets that way also is dealing with others inappropriately and may be in need of some help of their own.

I am not saying "Why can't we all just get along?" because that is bullshit! No one is always going to get along with everyone else - unless maybe they bring back qualudes and force everyomne to take one or two simultaneously; but that ain't gunna happen -lol. So the soultion here would be to either honestly ignore anyone's posts that regularly offend you, or to read them and just walk away from them. In other words once read, don't reply - don't keep feeding the fire. This would work for all parties involved, including JD; so please do not think for one moment I am making this a one way thing.

This site has potential, even with JD posting here, to be a good, informative arms oriented site. We can make it that way, all of us. Or if need be most of us, that is if anyone keeps insisting on posting trash - the rest of us certainly do not have to insist on the same. That's it from me, I said all I can say on this.

Have a happy and merry Christmas, and a merry and happy Chanukah, and a wonderful New Year.

All the best,
GB

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Yes, it is way beyond my simple explaination.

I used to get really angry at him, until I realized just how harmless he is.

Truth be told, all the poking holes in his whacked out theories is useful. I have learned things from people like Garand, Teuf, Rika, yourself, and others here. I have been able to get some of my own thoughts squared away.

It's probably unhealthy for all involved, but it is entertaining.

I've noticed that when JD posts in a non insulting manner, he pretty much doesn't get beat up on. (It still happens, but nowhere nearly as bad as when he starts his silly stuff.)

You'd think he'd get some kind of positive reinforcement from those threads, but he seems to thrive on the negative stuff.

There's more than enough type A personalities on this site, so the results are predictable. They should not be surprising to anyone.

There's really no incentive or dis-incentive to change the way the postings are going.

But, this is Rich's site to administer as he sees fit. I didn't see the moderation as a failure - it was far from perfect, but it was not a failure. I would have prefered that he had pointed out where he had a problem with how it was being done to give us a chance to correct the mistakes. Then it could have improved over time.

But this is where we are today.

I freely admit I am guilty of poking at GK, but it IS a two way street.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I find this helps keep life in perspective...

This recipe for eggnog comes from George Washington's own recipe archives.

1 pint brandy
1/2 pint rye whiskey
1/2 pint Jamaica rum
1/4 pint sherry
8 eggs
12 Tbsp sugar
1 qt milk
1 qt cream

Mix liquors first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs. Beat yolks and add sugar, mixing well. Add liquor to mixture slowly, continuing to beat. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Chill thoroughly.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
That recipe comes from a time when boys were men and men were better. A few whoofs of that brew and I'd sleep through New Years.

Thanks Wyly!

RIKA :)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think one of the things is that any strong disagreement is seen as an insult, or maybe as a fire starter for anger, and that gets the bad posts flying. Of course, I also realize that some just post nasty from the get go and, JD is often one of them but certainly not the only one. Too bad that everyone doesn’t seem to realize that others would pay attention without incessant forcing the issues or insulting posts. I often bang heads with Stillwell, but recently he made what I thought was a surprisingly on the gun/survival (sorry I cannot remember exactly what it was about right now) topic kind of post. This was surprising maybe only to me to me because, and I think he will admit this, many if not most of his posts pound on JD. There were no insults aimed at JD, and the talk was pretty interesting. That was more of what we need. I have seen JD do the same sometimes. The thing is it seems to almost always get nasty when there is no reason for it, except maybe big or twisted egos. Why it cannot stay respectful – even with really strong disagreement – and even with dislike of another poster - is beyond me. This could be a lot better board, if only we made it that way. We really don't need moderators if we keep it respectful toward one another - do we? All we have to do, is make it so. I am still hopeful.

All the best,
GB

·
Registered
779 Posts
Glenn

I believe you have some good points. I myself have been butting heads with a couple here, but it isn't personality related/personal, it's over what is posted, and the nature of those posts, and the total lack of contribution of good info in those posts

There are some VERY smart/experienced people here, and it IS too easy to get sidetracked.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry I missed that recipe last time I looked. Wow I may have to try it even though all the milk and cream would be likely to kill me or anyone with whiffing distance!

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
Most of the educational information that is posted here is in respose to Gunkid's dribble. I checked a week or go, on how many posts that I have started and its over 70. While not all of it is of benefit to everyone, it has caused some discussions. Thats what Gunkid is good at, while his original ideas are minimal, he does bring out the opportunity for rebuttal to his "concepts". Plus it is fun at times.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Garand said:
Most of the educational information that is posted here is in respose to Gunkid's dribble. I checked a week or go, on how many posts that I have started and its over 70. While not all of it is of benefit to everyone, it has caused some discussions. Thats what Gunkid is good at, while his original ideas are minimal, he does bring out the opportunity for rebuttal to his "concepts". Plus it is fun at times.
I was pissed when Patriot Network killed off the GK forum instead of archiving it for that reason. There was a lot of neat stuff in there, discussions sparked by rebuttals and whatnot. Lots of good info lost.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Glenn Bartley said:
Sorry I missed that recipe last time I looked. Wow I may have to try it even though all the milk and cream would be likely to kill me or anyone with whiffing distance!
Another recipe for you, then:

1 cup of eggnog
1 dose of Beano

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
well,[this is a good thread!] i know i for[1] that maybe 1/2 my posts should not have been posted,if i was out to win friends/influence neighbors![i'm not]

i have a 'blast' reading/posting here[i don't bull-shit, it's not in my character]

but we have been running a 'free-gun' around here[i have]

although, i feel i tend to stay out of 90% of the 'shit'

i'll shoot for 92%

:wavey:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts