Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
why would I need to see that?

noone questions the 12's close range power. The ISSUE is the wt, bulk, expense of its ammo, small mag capacity, short range, lack of can's, concealment, GI or .22 ammo interchange, slow reloading, awkward carry of spare ammo, ammo being "open" to moisure, oils, solvents. Ever TRY reloading a tubular mag while prone, wearing gloves, in the dark? In the snow, mud, rain? :) shotguns a "fair weather friend, dude. It's a joke for long term combat.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me of the improvements of Small Arms Ammunition in the last 40 years. For those that have decided that they have a requirement for a shotgun, that ammunition does have a place. Gunkid does have 1 good point, if you choose to use a shotgun if the balloon ever goes up, you should spend the time to practice.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
andy said:
noone questions the 12's close range power. The ISSUE is the wt, bulk, expense of its ammo, small mag capacity, short range, lack of can's, concealment, GI or .22 ammo interchange, slow reloading, awkward carry of spare ammo, ammo being "open" to moisure, oils, solvents. Ever TRY reloading a tubular mag while prone, wearing gloves, in the dark? In the snow, mud, rain? :) shotguns a "fair weather friend, dude. It's a joke for long term combat.
Like ANY of that matters. Christ you have to wear 150 sq in of blaze orange, who cares if the thing makes noise? In fact that's a GOOD thing, it tells all the urbanite morons who hardly know which end of their shiny new wallyworld scatterguns to point downrange to stay the hell away from you! Slow to reload? How many shots do you think you get at game? If reloading is a factor it's because you can't shoot for shit.

Oh yeah, 99.9% of firearms use is NOT combat. Sitting on one's fat ass hoping the world will end because that's the only way that person will ever own a gun again is just for lamers. The rest of us will continue to fill our freezers (maybe with some newfangled slugs) and enjoy life.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya beat me to it

Mag man you beat me to the reply I was going to post. I was going to also add that none of those critters were carrying weapons or wearing camo or crusin in hummers. Was just a post for those of us who like to hunt thick stuff with a shotgun.OH well I should have figured anny would post such a reply.
On a side note I just picked up a gem today not a shottie but kept 10 rounds in a dime at 15 yards.The cottontails and grey squrrels are going to be taking a shit kickin on Sat whoo hoo time to fill the freezer.Hopefully I will have some pics to post.

Reactions: Magnum88C

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
hipster said:
On a side note I just picked up a gem today not a shottie but kept 10 rounds in a dime at 15 yards.The cottontails and grey squrrels are going to be taking a shit kickin on Sat whoo hoo time to fill the freezer.Hopefully I will have some pics to post.
If not a shottie, what was it? C'mon, you can't leave a man in suspense like that!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't wan't to say anything or post any pics untill I get this rifle in the field and work the numbers on the rats "that hop" and the ones trying to hide out in the trees. I will give you some hints though It weighs about 6-1/2 pounds with scope mounted. Scope is a 4x 32mm with one inch tube and is very clear. I really think this gem would shoot one holers all day long if I was up to the task. Its not a super hot rod. Sorry to leave you in suspense but patience is a virtue.

MMMMMM pan fried cotton tail well if the little buggers are around.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
When shotgun hunting for deer, I use regular slugs and try to get in close. I did not see any this year, but in years past my shots have all been under 50 yards, most much closer to 30 to 40 yard range. If hit in the kill zone with a 12 gauge slug, any whitetail deer I have ever shot has gone down like a ton of bricks. I did miss my first buck a bit though and had to hit him twice with slugs. That buck was nosing a doe up her wazoo and they had both just stopped. I raised the shotgun and as I was squeezing the trigger the doe strated to trot off from the buck and he followed - whoops too late for me to react and the shot hit him in the hindquarter. He spun to the left and came down a trail right at me. The trail turned so chances are he would have too, I don't think he ever saw me but it was as if he was bearing down on me in a charge with head held pretty low and those 8 points looking mighty mean. It was exhilirating but I kept my head and gave a second shot that hit him square in the neck just above the juncture of the neck and chest at about 10 - 12 yards. He dropped down on front knees and rolled end over head to about 10 feet from me. Maybe none too impressive, but I was impressed I can tell you that. Wish I had it on a video, but regardless of having no camera recording it I can see it as I type right now. My palms are actually sweating...

Can you imagine that, I kpet my head enough to assess the situation, operate the slide, aim the gun, and shoot the beast all in about a split second. Hmm, I'll bet Andy thought none of us could do something like that with a pump gun. By the way, that round traveled down his spine to where the other was in his hindquarter. Amazing power in even just a regular slug.

I will admit thought that I shot one button buck a few years ago that went about 125 yards with about 25% of its heart blown away and one lung turned into what resembled oatmeal, and the other about half like that. That one took the worst damage to the kill zone I have seen after I have gutted any deer I ever shot, yet it went a darned long way carrying the weight of that piece of lead!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The only problem that I have w/saboted slugs is the expense!

Compared to a conventional slug they are 4-10x the cost/box of five.

For me anyways that means less practice w/the "best" ammo.

Impressive vid though.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Yeah the expense, and the fact I get lots of regular slugs for free is why I use them exclusively. As for that video, I forgot to mention, I liked it - quite impressive but I really think a good shot with a regular slug would do the same in most cases - always the exceptions though.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
nobody was trying to kill you, and it was 1.5 seconds, not a "split second". Otherwise, he wouldn't have been so close to you at the shot. Everybody gets lucky now and then.

I once ran 150m or so to finish off a fox that my boss had gut shot with a 222 sp. I had a .22 unit on a 1911 and I was 18, 1970. I tried to put my foot on his neck, hold him down for a head shot, and I missed. He got my pantleg in his teeth in a heartbeat, and in less than 1 second, I'd shot him in the head 3x. :) Mellowed him right out, too.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Andy,

you don't have a clue as to my skill with a shotgun, it was not luck at all, the only thing involving luck with it was that the bcuk moved just as I squeezed off the first shot. The rest was pure training and shotgun skills coming into play.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glen I can attest to that I shot a doe clean through the guts with a .243 same thing she started to walk which fragged me and I know I jerked the trigger making the shot much further back. I found dark blood and green stomach contents on the off side in the snow. I gave her 2 hours and followed she had laid down within 150 or so yards and by the time I got to her she was just about spent. Needless to say I finished the job from about 50 feet. I hate to see any thing suffer I also hate to clean gut shot animals. Hopefully I will never make another bad shot I had too many when I was younger than I am now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
anyone else notice that this is a comercial for shot gun slugs and the shot of the 2 hunter the one has a rifle in his hands ???????????????????????

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes it does look like a rifle but it most probably is one of the Tarhunt bolt action slug guns. I think there are a couple of other Mfg's that do the same thing. Check this link they do make a nice looking weapon.

http://www.tarhunt.com/tarhunt/

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Remember what one of the train robbers said in the monie "Cat Ballou"
"I do hate shotguns! They make such oozy corpses."

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel that the shotgun, 12, 20 or whatever has it's place "when the ballon goes up", if nothing else in the hands of my wife, who is uncertain if she will be able to actually shoot to harm anyone. I'm betting that when/if the bad guys get close and it's her between them and my son (or grandson) there won't even be a first thought let alone second guess. And the shotgun (00 buck) will take care of the bad guy even though she's going to be nervous and scared. A new miss with 00 buck can be lethal.

Of course my son, at 12, it's really a question of whose going to fire first between her and my him because he's a big boy (5"10" approx 170 lbs) and is sorta protective over his family especially his mother. My boy can shoot 2 and 3's on the clay range (BSA) with his Mossburg 20 Guage youth pump and has been asked to join the local team once he is old enough (14).

All in all, shotguns have a place too. Come to think of it crowds tend to pay more attention to a shotgun than anything else because most of that sort of crowd knows more than one is going to get hit for sure.

Hunter

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
andy said:
VERY little about shotgun fans has ANYTHING to do with "skill". that's WHY they favor the shotgun.

Says the man who has never shot in competition! I figure that I fired 350-400 rds a year of 12 gauge in competition only, not including in practice. When the buzzer goes off and the adrenilen starts to rush, your fine motor skill can disipate completely if you aren't switched on. Yes on a couple of occassions I've been too quick on the trigger and missed a 10 yards with a 12 double w/ 30" tubes. On a couple of occasions w/ a Winchester 97, I've had to ask a couple of shooters if a couple of pellets hit the steel or should I engage the target again. Shit happens! Thats why you practice. If you look at pictures of the old west, the people that generally settled our countries, had a shotgun in their hands.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts