1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
full story:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050426/325/fhcd1.html

California proposes requiring bullet ID numbers
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California's attorney general introduced pioneering legislation on Tuesday that would require all bullets sold in the nation's most populous state to bear tiny identification numbers.

The bill, aimed at helping investigators solve crime, would require ammunition vendors to submit sales records to a state registry starting in 2007. Anyone bringing bullets into the state not bearing the tiny serial number etched by laser could be punished for up to a year in prison.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Thats a hairbrained idea if I ever heard one.

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Sure would like to hear their explanation of how this will work with frangible bullets. :)

Yeah right. Just exactly how much more would that make a box of bullets cost? Which is exactly what their goal is anyway. The laws are not designed to prevent crime. They are designed to hassle the gun industry (and us!) to death. How much of the cost of a gun these days is from BS stuff like this being foisted on us?

Someone intent on using a gun in the commission of a crime is not expecting to get caught. And if they are caught, the additional penalty of having a non-serialized bullet in the gun is going to be trivial compared to the rest of the sentence. Heck, if you are intent on committing murder, what difference is it going to make to you about what bullets you use? The gun is probably stolen anyway, along with the bullets in it.

So when you go target shooting at the range, maybe you had better go dig those projectiles out of the berm otherwise someone could dig them out and leave them at the scene of a crime, implicating you in it.

Where do these clowns come up with these ideas anyway?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where do these clowns come up with these ideas anyway?

"Politicians are at their most dangerous when they feel they must "Do Something" about a perceived problem" ~Me

I have an idea that would work better, but I'll just keep it to myself. No point in giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Best recollection is that the bill contained no LEO exemption, meaning state of CA LE Depts would have to buy the same ammo.
First, I dont think the technology exists to produce it.
Second, even if it does the cost to do so would be astronomical. No company would retool for that market.
Third, the intent is so easily defeated (reload, buy from elsewhere) that it is ludicrous.
I hoped it would pass. The resulting mess would so discredit anti-gun forces as to put them in disarray for years.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You're correct Rabbi, it would have done a lot of damage to the anti's... but, when the bill was proposed, most of the major ammo manufacturers told California that they would not honor an exemption for LE. Not to mention that Olin/Dupont, the maker of Federal, Remington and Winchester ammunition hinted at a major boycott overall of the state. Just to let you know how big a deal that is... they make the additives that go into the gasoline that is sold in California. Not to mention there are several other critical areas that Dupont could hurt California bad in.

Is the bill dead? I don't think it'll get anywhere... if it does, watch the scrambling as soon as the California citizens realize that this effected a lot more than ammo.

Mike

·
Registered
880 Posts
After we finally get our guys out of Iraq maybe we should invade California and set all those a-hole on the road to enlightenment.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Hard Rock said:
Not to mention that Olin/Dupont, the maker of Federal, Remington and Winchester ammunition hinted at a major boycott overall of the state..
Olin/Dupont makes Federal, Remington, and Winchester...?

·
Registered
180 Posts
And just how would this work with lead bullets? Tip deforms/mushrooms on impact. Sides are rubbed smooth by trip down barrel. Base is flame broiled by hot powder gasses.Won't even ask about 7 1/2s in a 12 ga.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The serialization would be laser etched into the base of the bullet. This is the part that is the least likely to be damaged upon impact. The company that thought of this hairbrained idea is based in Seattle... This company says it would only raise the price of ammo 1cent a round. None of these gun-grabbing-liberals idiots even think about the cost of the database to store all of these serial numbers and who purchased them, and for how long the serial number needs to be stored. This is just another way that the gun-grabbing-liberals are going to harrass us.

Boy,... this thread was an old one...

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
A few years ago the big thing was to include a fired casing with a new gun package. The casing was supposed to be turned over to the state police to aid in murder investigations. What a crock! Mass (I think) tried to keep up with all those cartridge cases but they never solved a single crime and the program ended in dismal failure. This newest idea is just harassment of gun owners and will probably die before its born.

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
T. Daves said:
After we finally get our guys out of Iraq maybe we should invade California and set all those a-hole on the road to enlightenment.
Nah. We all just need to get on the eastern border of California with sledge hammers and wedges. Keep on pounding the wedges into the ground until we break that state loose from the mainland and set it drifting out into the Pacific ocean. Or wait until the San Andreas does that for us. Have you ever looked at a geological survey map of that state? Much of the center is under sea level already...........

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Kent said:
"Politicians are at their most dangerous when they feel they must "Do Something" about a perceived problem" ~Me
Ahhh, but legislatures by definition are law makers. If they aren't making laws, whether they need the new laws or not, then they aren't working. I think THAT is the problem - or at least part of it. :(

·
Registered
380 Posts
I "live" in the state of kalif. and the demo-o-craps that run this joint is driving all the gun makers out of state with their hair brain leftist dogma crap...the ammo ban is not far behind !!! DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN IN YOUR STATE !!!!! :hot:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I used to live in California, but on the eastern slope of the Sierra's and we thought a lot differently than the citified folk who stumbled in to our area sometimes. CA's problems started back in the late 20's-30's when they recruited trash from nationwide as a pool of laborers with the best welfare laws in the USA, and the "Okie Migtration" started. Almost any civilazation based on drifter migrant labour is doomed from conception.
PS Maryland was the state wanting to run a ballistic library as a crime deterent IIRC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts