Arms Locker banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jorge, I have 8 10 rd mags and the drum is on its way soon after it is produced.

As to the tactical light- it is intended for blinding the fool at night just before the second, third, fourth flash of light. Then it's lights out!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Nice. Much faster to load than the tube ones.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Remington Wingmaster 870 that was a police trade in. Picked it up for $150 at the local gun store. It has a 18.5 inch barrel, no choke, and can hold 4 in the tube. The only draw back is it is only made to load 2 3/4 inch shells.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
hey,I fired up the ALICE-THUNDERHEAD today, and hit the gun show @pima co. fair grounds!,,,LET ME TELL YOU ALL!!!,,,I'M FRICKIN' 'rich',,,IFFIN' I CAN GET THE SAME prices for my guns,,,as,,,THEY WANT FOR THEIRS!
[case in point! my $200 S.P.S. 12GA. MAG-FEED,,,HA! $899,,,YOU 'all' CAN STEER IT FROM THERE]

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've got to disagree

As everyone knows, or should know; we really don't want to blast someone with our home defense shotgun. Sure, if some crazed dude kicks down your door and comes charging into your home carrying a knife and makes like he's going to slice open your wife and kids blow the SOB away.

Otherwise don't shoot! Even in the obviously justified case above you may end up spending a large chunk of your change defending yourself.

What we really want to do is to scare the wacko away. While there is a little voice in many of us that whispers go ahead and pop the guy, even if he looks cross eyed at us that little voice is wrong.

So we want the perp who enteres our home to know that we are there, and we are armed with a shotgun, and we are ready and willing to do some target practice on his mid section. That being said we need a shotgun that has the loudest sounding action of them all. That "CA CHUNK" sound of the action opening and closing should reverberate throughout the house. The gun, in my opinion, that has the best CA CHUNK is the model 1897 Winchester. Old Model 12's are good too. Actually any good pump is all right.

My suggested load is bird shot goes in last, so it comes out first. About no. 7's will do. That way if the guy is close to you, you can open him up and not spread the shot further or deeper than his chest. The mess caused by bird shot at close range is beyond description; I've seen the pictures in coroner's manuals. In behind the No. 7's you might consider no. 2's or 4's. Don't put in buck, as you'll end up punching holes all over your house and maybe in your neighbor's too.

However, we must always keep in mind that if we really do shoot someone in our home we had better been darned sure that the guy had really bad intentions. Otherwise it's the shooter who pays - big time.
I'm not trying to start an arguement and maybe it has something to do with coming from Texas where by law if someones breaks in your house you can shoot them but if they are in your house THEY DON'T HAVE ANYTHNIG GOOD PLANNED FOR YOU! The second you try and scare him with jacking around in the chamber he can spin around and shot you or wrestle with you or his buddy will try and jump you. I accept if I shoot someone civilian side there's probably a legal battle ahead but I survived the home invasion to be there to fight it.

Obviously they're a short list of exceptions, such as if they're drunk, lost and yelling "why did you change the locks?" (happened to my house) then use your common sence. Guy hasn't quite earned the death penalty. Also this doesn't apply if they are in your yard, open garage or if you left your door wide open.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I keep an old 870 with a 18" police barrel as my house go-to gun but first line of defense is either a 1911A1 34acp or CZ 9mm Compact. As for break-ins, the Castle Doctrine prevails in most states - just don't shoot a family member.

RIKA

·
Forum Moderator
89 Posts
Since this thread was started in 2004, I was wondering if people have changed to a different shotgun for home defense or what they have now if they hadn't previously posted.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well I've upgraded since 2004....

Mossie 590, Mossie ghost ring sights, side saddle, speed feed stock. Only thing lacking is a bayonet lug!

But it will do. It backs up the AR Bushie.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well I've upgraded since 2004....

Mossie 590, Mossie ghost ring sights, side saddle, speed feed stock. Only thing lacking is a bayonet lug!

But it will do. It backs up the AR Bushie.
Your 590 doesn't have a bayonet lug? Wow, I have seen the long magazine 500s without it, but never a 590. It's not there where the sling swivel stud is? The bayonets that fit it are the same as those for the M16 family.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Anyone actually have experience with using a bayonet lug on a shotgun? I don't mean have you cleared a trench and skeward someone I mean patterened with a shotgun bayonetted something (person, bayonet dummy, bale of hay) and seen if it holds the pattern?

·
Registered
261 Posts
With the Mossberg 590 it shouldn't have any more effect than disassembling the shotgun for cleaning and reassembling it. It attaches to the magazine tube, not the barrel. So it might shift the pattern a little left, right up, or down, but it really shouldn't have a noticeable effect.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Currently these are my main 3, plus I have a couple of double barrels for the wife. Her stature doesn't allow her to use a pump comfortably.

By lawrence9 at 2007-12-26

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Your 590 doesn't have a bayonet lug? Wow, I have seen the long magazine 500s without it, but never a 590. It's not there where the sling swivel stud is? The bayonets that fit it are the same as those for the M16 family.
My Mossie 590 has a chrome finish (factory) as does my 500 Mariner 18 incher (I replaced my blued 500 with the Marinier.) And that is why no bayonet lug. Would not mind one on it but it is not necessary.

I got a band saw and took the stock down 2 inches on the 500 to make it a batam stock. Used a buffer to slim the recoil pad. Look like a factory job to. That gun is light, fast, and with a beed sight real good inside the house. It also has a 4 shot tac-star side saddle.

So that's my two shotties. The 500 is a CQ gun and the 590 a general purpose fighting shotgun.

For hunting I just use a plain single shot 20 H&R (old one to.) Yes single shot.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts